Transfer your investments to Halifax
Transfer to us
How long does it take to transfer my account?
- Once we’ve received your transfer form we’ll request a valuation from your current provider.
- As soon as we’ve received the valuation we’ll start the transfer process.
- Timescales can vary however, once we’ve received the valuation from your current provider, it usually takes around 2 – 3 weeks to transfer UK shares and 4 – 6 weeks for funds or international shares.
- If we need any more information we’ll be in touch so please ensure we’ve got your up-to-date contact details.
These timescales are largely dependent on how quickly your current provider responds to our requests. We’ll keep you up-to-date throughout the process and if there are any delays, we’ll let you know.
Throughout the process your investments will always be held by either your current provider or within your new Halifax account. This means that you’ll always have access if you want to sell any of your investments during this period.
Please note that if you transfer a trail-bearing fund (‘dirty’), you will be unable to invest new cash into the fund. We’ll then convert it to the non-trail bearing (‘clean’) share class over the next few months. Find out more about fund changes.
How much does it cost?
We don’t charge to transfer your investments to us. Your existing provider may charge you transfer or closure fees so please keep this in mind when you’re transferring.
Complete and send your transfer form
- Transfer your shares into a Halifax Share Dealing Account
- Transfer your existing ISA to a Halifax Self-Select Stocks and Shares ISA
- Transfer your existing SIPP to a Halifax Share Dealing SIPP
Please send your completed form to:
Halifax Share Dealing
Lovell Park Road
If you have any questions about the transfer process then you can use our Web Chat service to chat directly to us.
Transfer between accounts
If you would like to transfer investments between two Halifax Share Dealing Accounts or to another Halifax Share Dealing customer, you can do this quickly and easily by completing an internal transfer form.
Simply download, print out and complete the form, sign it and return it to the address provided on the form. We will electronically transfer your investments to the account code you provide within 10 working days of the day we receive your signed instruction.
Please note that you cannot directly transfer investments into or out of a Self-Select Stocks & Shares ISA or SIPP.
If you want to move investments from your Halifax Share Dealing Account to your Halifax Stocks and Shares ISA you will need to sell the shares and repurchase them within the ISA. For more information please call 08457 22 55 25. If you're calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0845 number, you can call us on +44 (0) 113 270 1154.
Depositing share certificates
Depositing your existing share certificates is simple and once it’s done there’s no need to worry about missing paperwork – your shares will be held securely in our electronic nominee.
- Once your share certificates are deposited you can deal online for just £12.50 commission or over the telephone for £25.
- You can view your account valuation 24/7 using our online service (prices are 15 minutes delayed).
- Your trade will settle in just 3 working days (10 working days for certificate trades).
- Use our FREE market research centre for all the latest charts, news and prices.
- Automatic dividend reinvestment - choose to have dividends from UK and Irish CREST eligible stocks automatically reinvested.
How to deposit share certificates
- Before you can deposit any certificates you will need to open a Halifax Share Dealing Account.
- Simply download and print out a Transfer Form and a CREST Transfer Form for each stock holding.
- Complete, sign and return the forms, attach the relevant share certificates and return to the address provided on the transfer forms.
You will be unable to trade any stocks being deposited into your account whilst the transfer is pending. We can only transfer holdings where there is no change in beneficial ownership i.e. the account name should match the name on the certificate. We also recommend that you send your certificate by recorded or special delivery as we accept no responsibility for the loss of any certificates.
Where there is a change of beneficial ownership, i.e. the account name does not match the name on the certificate, please ensure a Stock Transfer Form is signed by all parties.
Please forward to us together with the Transfer Form A and Crest Transfer Form(s). Contact us on 08457 22 55 25 to obtain a Stock Transfer Form. If you're calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0845 number, you can call us on +44 (0) 113 270 1154. Simply print out the forms, complete the required information, sign and return them to us together with the relevant share certificates.
Depositing share certificates into a Stocks and Shares ISA
It isn’t possible to directly transfer a certificate into your ISA unless it has come from an approved HMRC scheme/plan (see Transferring shares from an HMRC approved scheme/plan). To transfer the shares into your ISA, you can:
- Open a Halifax Share Dealing Account and a Halifax Stocks and Shares ISA.
- Deposit the share certificate into a Halifax Share Dealing Account. This takes approximately 10 working days.
- Once the shares are showing in your account, place an order to sell your shares. This can be done online or over the phone. Please note: this may trigger an event for Capital Gains Tax purposes.
- Call us to transfer the sale proceeds into your Stocks and Shares ISA.
- You can then invest in any ISA eligible investment. Again, this can be done online or over the phone.
Any trades you place online will cost £12.50 commission. Telephone commission is £25 so if you decide to complete this process over the phone, we’ll waive the purchase commission to ensure you don’t pay any more than usual.
Under HM Revenue & Customs regulations it isn’t possible to directly transfer shares into an ISA unless they were purchased as part of an HMRC approved Save As You Earn (SAYE) option scheme or a Share Incentive Plan (SIP). These were formerly known as Approved Employee Share Ownership Plans.
If your shares have matured from an approved plan, you’ll need to send us a written request to directly transfer your shares into your Stocks and Shares ISA, along with proof that the shares have been exercised (or withdrawn from an SIP) in the last 90 days. This is known as a Letter of Appropriation and can be obtained from your share scheme administrator.
We would recommend that you send your request at least two weeks before the end of the 90 day period to give us time to carry out relevant checks.
Once you’ve filled in your form, please send it to:
Halifax Share Dealing Limited
ISA Administration Department
Lovell Park Road