General bank account enquiries.

Reporting a lost or stolen card

If you're registered for Online Banking, you can report your card as lost or stolen online or on your Halifax Mobile Banking app by filling in our simple form.

If you’d prefer to speak to someone you can call us on 0800 0 15 15 15 (lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

We’ll cancel your card and send you a replacement.

Setting up standing orders

Register for Online Banking and you can set up standing orders quickly and easily. View our demo to see how.

Alternatively, call us on 0345 720 3040 (0345 850 5525 for Easycash customers) (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-6pm and Sun 9am-5pm) or drop into your nearest branch.

How we process payments

Find out more about how payments are processed for Standing Orders, Direct Debits, Cheques and Future Dated Payments.

Making payments

Transfer money with Online Banking

Online Banking makes transferring your money quick and easy. Find out how to register for Online Banking.

Direct Debits

You can set up Direct Debits to pay regular bills automatically, such as electricity bills or insurance through your bank account. These need to be set up directly with the organisation you will be making payments to.

To cancel an existing Direct Debit select 'More Actions' on the account you need to manage. Choose 'Manage direct debit' button under 'Direct debits & standing orders' section, then select the 'Cancel' button next to the Direct Debit you require cancelling. At the confirmation screen you will be asked to enter your password to confirm your changes. Once you have entered your password select the 'Confirm' button.

You should always inform the organisation receiving the payments if you cancel a Direct Debit before final payment has been made.

Find out more about Direct Debit.

Our demo shows you how to view and delete a Direct Debit.

Paying your Halifax credit card

If you're a Halifax credit card customer you can pay your bill online or over the phone - 0345 720 3040 - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


Go paper-free

Online Banking lets you view your transactions for up to 6 years. Find out information in our paper-free section. You can also request a free paper statement if you have stopped paper statements and haven't previously received a paper copy.

Questioning a transaction on your statement

If you're unsure about a transaction on your statement, feel free to call us any time on 0345 720 3040 (0345 850 5525 for Easycash customers) (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-6pm and Sun 9am-5pm) or pop into your nearest branch.

Online Banking

Available 24/7 and backed by our online guarantee bank quickly, safely, whenever you want and wherever you want. Everything from checking your balance to transferring money can all be done with our online banking service. Visit our Online Banking area to find out more.

Mobile Banking and alerts

Mobile Banking

Available for a range of mobile devices, you can now bank on the move with Mobile Banking. Features include viewing balances and transaction history, transfer money between your personal Halifax accounts, transfer money to new and existing recipients and manage your existing overdraft. All of this from your mobile. Find out more about Mobile Banking.

Text alerts

Available to all bank account customers you can keep track of your finances with our text alerting service. You'll get limit alerts (when you're near to or over your account limit so you can avoid any unplanned overdraft fees), high and low balance alerts (high balance alerts to let you know when to move excess money into a savings account and low balance alerts to help make sure you always have enough money in your account for the things you want to do), weekly balance alerts (a weekly text with your balance and the last six transactions of the week, on a week day and time you choose) and more.

If you are aged between 11-15 with an Expresscash account you can apply for our weekly balance alerts and overseas transaction alerts. Just visit your local branch with a parent/guardian to register.

You can register for the text alert service in Online Banking, simply select ‘Your profile from the tool bar and choose ‘Set up or manage text alerts'. Or alternatively, you can call us on  0345 720 3040 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-6pm and Sun 9am-5pm) or visit your local branch.

We won't charge you for this service but if you receive texts while abroad, your network service provider may charge you.

Telephone banking

Call us on 0345 720 3040 (0345 850 5525 for Easycash customers), lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to start telephone banking. Unfortunately, we don't offer telephone banking to Expresscash customers.

Changing your details (name, address, tel)

Changing your name

To do this make an appointment at your local branch and take along a completed change your name form (PDF) and evidence of the name change, for example a marriage certificate or deed poll.

Changing your address

Print off and complete the form on the 'Change of address' page in our Help Centre or make an appointment at your local branch.

Changing your telephone number

This can be done through Online Banking, over the phone by calling 0345 720 3040 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) or at any branch. For security purposes, you'll be unable to use the updated phone number to set up new recipients in Online Banking for 7 days after the change.

Joint Accounts

  • Two people using one account - A simple way to share spends and see them on one monthly statement
  • Both account holders get a Visa debit card
  • Both account holders can also separately set up and manage Online Banking

Add another person to an existing account with us

  • If you're registered for Online Banking, sign in and simply follow the on-screen instructions in our online form

Open a new joint account with us

  • Add the other account holder by filling out a short form at the end of your current account application
  • If you’re applying for a new current account online, you may be offered an overdraft in your sole name - Please don’t accept this. You’ll need to apply for an overdraft once the other account holder is added

Alternatively, make an appointment at your local branch

  • Don’t forget to take identification and if the second person is not an existing Halifax or Bank of Scotland customer they will need to provide identification - view acceptable forms of identification.

Looking to switch your joint account to us?

  • Ensure you add the other account holder to your new account before completing your switch

Please be aware of the following:

  • Both account holders must be aged 18 or over
  • You can only add the other account holder online for Ultimate Reward Current Accounts, Reward Current Accounts and Current Accounts
  • For Cardcash and Easycash customers, you’ll need to open a joint account in branch
  • Student Current Account and Expresscash accounts cannot be made into joint accounts
  • Both people named on the account are individually and jointly responsible for any debts on the joint account
  • Credit reference agencies often create a financial link or association between people who have a joint account. Meaning that the financial situation of the other person on the account could affect your credit rating
  • Both people named can use the account benefits and features without needing the approval of the other

Remove someone from a joint account

A request to remove someone from your bank account can be made in branch and will only be accepted where the account is in credit.

Cash withdrawal limits

You can withdraw up to £500 a day from a cash machine.

The daily maximum cash withdrawal over the branch counter is £2,500, unless you have pre-ordered a higher amount. If you wish to withdraw more than £2,500 in cash, you will need to give your branch advance notice. When making large withdrawals, you will need to prove your identity.

Ordering a replacement card, cheque book or PIN


If you’re registered for Online Banking you can request a replacement card or PIN online or through your Halifax Mobile Banking app, in three simple steps.

If you’d prefer to speak to someone, you can call us on 0345 720 3040. If you’re calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0345 number, you can call us on +44 (0)113 242 1984 (lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for existing customers).

Your replacement card or PIN usually takes around 3-5 working ways to arrive by post. Once you have received your replacement PIN you can change or unlock it at most UK cash machines.

Cheque book

If your cheque book is lost or stolen, call us on 0800 0 15 15 15 - lines are open 24 hours a day. We will cancel the cheque book and send you a replacement. There's no charge for this service. If you reach the end of your cheque book and haven't received a new one, please call the number above and we'll send you one.

Closing your account

To close your current account visit  your nearest branch or write to us at:
Halifax, Account Closure Team, PO Box 548, Leeds, LS1 1WU.

How to complain

We aim to please, but we know that sometimes things go wrong. If we cannot settle your complaint you can refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

About midata

When you bank, shop or pay a bill, this information can form a picture of your spending and shopping habits. midata gives greater access to your personal data and the ability to use it, as it can be helpful when choosing suitable products and services.

A midata file shows your previous 12 months spending and banking history, without any information like your name, address or date of birth.

To download a midata file, from your account homepage select ‘More actions' on the account you want to manage, choose ‘Account services’ and select the ‘midata export’ button.

Switching to an account outside the UK?

Switching to an account outside the UK?
You can’t use the UK Current Account Switch Service to move your regular credits and debits to a bank account in another EU country, but we can provide you with information that will help you to move them yourself.

Obtaining information on your regular payments
You can obtain information on all regular payments into your account (e.g. salary, dividends etc) and regular payments out of your account (Direct Debits, Standing Orders etc) either in branch or over the telephone. Alternatively, you can follow these simple steps online:

Payments out of your account

  1. Log in to Online Banking and select the appropriate account
  2. Select ‘More Actions’
  3. Select Direct Debits and Standing Orders

All your regular payments including the person you are paying (recipient), amount, frequency and date last paid is displayed.

Payments into your account
For any payments into your account or other information you may need you can click on ‘Search your Statement’ and search for any specific transactions or transaction types (NB: searches can go back several years but are limited to blocks of 90 day periods).
Once you’ve retrieved all the information you need you can then print the page(s). To redirect payments made to your account with us to your new account, you will need to contact the person or company that makes the payment and give them your new account details. To make payments from your new account, you will need to set up a new payment instruction with your new bank.

Transferring your balance to a new account
This can be done in branch subject to provision of suitable ID; there are no transaction value limits.

Alternatively transactions up to £5,000 can be made by calling Telephone Banking on 0345 720 3040 or online (for limits up to £100,000 for single transactions).

If you would like to transfer your balance using internet banking/online Banking:

  1. Log into Online Banking, select the appropriate account then Payments and Transfers
  2. Select International transfers
  3. Complete the required fields using your new bank’s details.

Fees and timescales for transfers

Closing your account:
Once you’ve redirected any regular payments and transferred your balance you can close your account in branch or we’ll be happy to help you over the telephone, you can call us on 0345 720 3040 and we will provide you with a form.