- “You” are the customer who has registered for the Halifax Community Forum; and
- “We” are Halifax, a division of Bank of Scotland plc.
Please read the terms carefully before you register and use the forum. Your use of the forum indicates that you accept these terms and agree to comply with them.
Because the topics discussed on the forum are always evolving, we may amend these terms at any time. You should check this webpage frequently to review the current terms as they are binding on you. These terms were last updated in June 2019.
Protecting your privacy
2. Please don’t include any account, sign in, financial or other personal details when posting on the forum, as other users of the site will be able to see it. We will never ask for your account information or direct you to a web page or page that asks for this information.Back to top
Your use of the forum
3. You may not use the forum for illegal purposes or otherwise misuse it (including, without limitation, by hacking or impersonating us, or in any way not permitted by these terms).
4. Unless otherwise stated, all trademarks, company names, logos and images used on the forum and copyright in the content of our posts (except where other contributors are acknowledged) are the intellectual property of Halifax (or our affiliate Lloyds Banking Group companies or our licensors). You must not copy these or misuse them in any way, or use these for commercial purposes without our consent or an appropriate licence.
5. We will assume that any material you post to the forum is not confidential. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, however you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty free licence to freely use, copy, edit, alter, reproduce, publish, display and/or distribute such material for any and all commercial and non-commercial purposes in any media or through any distribution method.
6. When you submit material to the forum, you confirm that you are entitled to submit the content and that it is accurate, not confidential, and not in violation of any contractual restrictions or other third party rights.
7. When posting content please be polite, respectful, relevant, accurate where stating facts and civil to others, even if your views differ. Your content must be your original work and comply with the law of England and Wales and any country from which it is posted.
8. You agree not to post any material:
(a) that is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, menacing, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence, in breach of privacy or which may cause annoyance, distress or inconvenience; or
(b) for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals; or
(c) which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the rights of any third party, in any country in the world; or
(d) which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data).
9. You agree to compensate us fully if we suffer loss and damage as a result of your failure to abide by these terms.
10. The language of the forum is English and contributions should be made in English. We are unable to respond to content in other languages. This may mean in some instances that we need to remove material if we cannot be certain of its content.Back to top
Management of the forum
11. We reserve the right to contact you where we have received complaints about your content, and we may ask you to remove certain content where such content does not comply with these terms or the law.
12. We reserve the right to moderate any content posted to the forum. Where we moderate content before it is posted we may, at our discretion, refrain from publishing certain material. Similarly, where we moderate content after it is posted, we may choose to remove material. For example, if we consider material to be inappropriate for any reason, we may choose to refrain from posting it or delete it from the forum (although we shall not be required to do so). We shall be under no obligation to notify you of such decision, and we reserve the right to suspend or terminate your access to the forum should you fail to comply with these terms.
13. We regularly update and monitor the forum, however we may not always be able to read all posts or reply to them individually.
14. Any products and services referred to on the forum are subject to eligibility criteria and other terms and conditions.
15. Unless otherwise specified, the information on the forum is directed at UK residents.Back to top
Links to third party websites or pages
16. Any links to third party websites or pages on the forum are provided solely for your convenience. We do not control those websites and are not responsible for their content or availability. We do not endorse or make any promises about them, or any material on these websites or pages nor any results that may be obtained from using them. Any access of third party content you choose to make is entirely at your own risk.Back to top
17. We do not guarantee that the forum, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. From time to time, we may at our discretion change, suspend or permanently withdraw all or part of the forum without prior notice. For example, we may do so if we are experiencing technical issues. You are free to stop using the forum at any time.Back to top
Disclaimers and liability
18. The following clauses exclude or limit our legal liability for the forum. You should read them carefully. They all apply only as far as the law permits, and in particular we do not intend to affect our duties and liabilities to you under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, or the rules and regulations for the conduct of business under this Act, nor any rights you may have where you are a consumer including your right to receive a reasonable standard of service. For more information about your rights, you may contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau, Trading Standards Office or the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) and PRA (Prudential Regulatory Authority).
19. The forum may contain complex information. We have tried to make it as clear, easy to use and as accurate as possible. However we do not warrant that any content posted by us is accurate, complete, or up to date. We will have no liability to you if it is not.
20. We aim for open, respectful communication on the relevant topics within the forum. While we may conduct some moderation, we do not control and are not liable for content posted by third parties. Any use or reliance on such content or materials posted is at your own risk. We do not endorse, support, represent or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy or reliability of any content posted by third parties. You understand that by using the forum, you may be exposed to content that might be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate, or in some cases, postings that have been mislabelled or are otherwise misleading. We will not be liable in any way for such content.
21. Please keep in mind that other users of the forum who provide content may claim expertise or standing that they do not, in fact, possess. You should give careful thought before following any advice posted by other users on the forum. Any information posted on the forum by Halifax does not constitute financial or other professional advice and is general in nature.
22. We are not responsible for: (i) losses not caused by our breach; (ii) failure to perform or provide any services where such failure is due to events beyond our control; (iii) indirect losses which are a side effect of the main loss or damage and which are not reasonably foreseeable by you and us at the time of entering into these terms, for example loss of profits or loss of opportunity; (iv) loss or damage in connection with any third party website, applications or software linked from our forum; (v) loss or damage due to viruses or other harmful code which may infect your device.
23. Nothing in these terms shall exclude or limit our liability for:
(a) death or personal injury caused by negligence; or
(b) fraud; or
(c) misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter; or
(d) any liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
24. If you breach these terms and we take no action against you, we will still be entitled to use our rights and remedies in any other situation where you breach these terms.
25. If any part of these terms is disallowed or found to be ineffective by any court or regulator, the other provisions shall continue to apply.Back to top
These terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Disputes arising in connection with these terms shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the relevant UK courts.Back to top