Public Liability Insurance for Tradesmen & Self Employed

Keep your business safe and protected

Accidents can happen for the most cautious of businesses. Make sure you’re protected if a customer or member of the public are injured due to your business.

If an accident happens, it could be your business that has to pay compensation.

Public liability can cover the cost of compensation and legal fees resulting from injury or property damage where your business is at fault.

To help you find the right insurance to meet your business needs we work with Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, who search a panel of insurers to get you a quote.

Common public liability claims are as a result of:

  • Property damage resulting from your work.
  • Someone tripping, slipping or otherwise injuring him/herself in your work area.
  • Something being dropped resulting in injury to a customer or damage to a customer’s property.
  • Someone from your business accidentally spilling a drink over a client’s computer.

Who needs Public Liability Insurance?

Any business that has clients to its premises or involves work on a customer’s site could need public liability insurance.

Some potential customers may ask to see your insurance documents before they let you work with them.

Here are a few examples of trades that usually need liability insurance:

Get a Public Liability quote online and protect your business

  • quick and easy to get a quote
  • competitive quotes from a panel of insurers
  • choose optional cover to suit your business

Get a quote

Want some advice?

Not sure what cover you need? Call and speak to business insurance specialists who will help you get the cover you need.

Call on 0345 241 3410

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

Some customers may ask to see your insurance documents before they let you work with them. With Halifax Public Liability insurance you can get instant cover and proof of your insurance is emailed to you straight away.

How much public liability insurance do I need?

The level of cover you’ll need will depend on the work your business does and who you do work for.

The bigger the job and the greater the risks, the more cover you are likely to need. Governments and councils usually have minimum levels of cover that they will insist you are insured for.

So it's important you check how much clients need you to have as part of your contract with them. Halifax Business Insurance let you choose liability limits of £1m, £2m and £5m so you can choose the cover you need.

Do you employ staff?

If the answer is yes, you may also need something called employers’ liability insurance.

This insurance is a legal requirement for almost every business that employs staff, including contractors, casual workers and volunteers.

The legal minimum for cover is £5m. This can cover the cost of pay-outs if your business is sued by an employee for injury or illness caused by employers’ negligence.

This includes damage pay-outs, medical costs and loss of income

£10m of employers‘ liability cover is available as an optional cover with your public liability quote.

Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.

Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc, and is an introducer to Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited who arrange and administer Halifax Business Insurance Services and source products from a panel of insurers.

Bank of Scotland plc, registered in Scotland No. SC327000, Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Financial Services Register number 169628.