Renters and Tenants.

What insurance cover is available for tenants?

Whether you rent a flat for yourself or live in a shared house with others, your landlord must make sure the building and its fixtures are insured. As a tenant it’s your own responsibility to protect your possessions against loss or damage.

You may have heard of renter’s insurance, tenant’s insurance or contents insurance, but what’s the difference? In simple terms, nothing, they’re the same thing – insurance for your personal belongings if you rent or own a leasehold.

It’s important to find out what’s covered in your home contents insurance. Insurers will vary in terms of what they cover as standard for tenants, so it makes sense to find out if cover is provided for items such as:

  • TVs, computers, audio systems, games consoles, cameras and other electronics
  • Jewellery
  • Furniture and soft furnishings
  • Bikes and sports equipment
  • Books and DVDs
  • Garden furniture, tools and outbuildings

As a tenant, having home contents insurance gives you extra protection against the unexpected. So you can rest assured that loss or damage to your furniture, clothing, curtains and electronic goods will be covered against incidents like a burglary, or damage caused by a fire or flooding.

Why should I get contents insurance?

There are many reasons to protect your personal possessions. Some may have a high cost in money terms but also an emotional value that goes beyond a cash price. Even so, you might be surprised by how much it would cost to replace your possessions.

It's not always easy to work out how much this would be. A sensible approach is:

  1. Make a record of your possessions, room by room, highest value items first.
  2. Try to keep your records up to date, especially if you add valuable items.
  3. Remember to contact your insurer about these as they could affect your contents cover.

If you own anything particularly valuable, you might have to give details on the policy. There will also most likely be a limit on any claim. We’ve put together a handy checklist (PDF) to help you calculate the value of your contents and work out how much cover you’ll need.

How Halifax can help

Halifax home contents insurance covers your belongings against theft, water damage and fire in your rented home. This includes garages and conservatories attached to the same building.

Key benefits

  • Choose between two tiers of cover – Home Insurance and Home Insurance Ultimate.
  • Total cover limit, excluding high risk items, of £75,000 to £100,000 with Home Insurance.
  • Total cover limit, excluding high risk items, unlimited with Home Insurance Ultimate.
  • Choose additional cover for your contents policy, such as accidental damage, legal expenses, high risk items, specified items, personal belongings away from the home and pedal cycle cover.

Plus, if you can’t live in your home because of an incident you’re claiming for, we’ll:

  1. Provide you and your family with alternative accommodation.
  2. Find a suitable place for your pets to stay, until you can return.

We’ll also replace locks and keys, freezer contents, money and cards and belongings of visitors.

Limits, terms and exclusions apply, see our policy booklet for full details.

Our Home Insurance is underwritten by Lloyds Bank General Insurance Limited

What’s covered by Halifax home contents insurance?

As well as cover against theft, or damage from fire, smoke, storms or flooding, Halifax home contents insurance provides as standard:

  • Alternative accommodation – for your family and domestic pets if you can’t live in your home because of an event you’re covered for.
  • Money and credit cards – cover for your cards and cash when in the home.
  • Freezer contents – cover with a low £25 excess.
  • Visitor belongings – cover for items your visitors have with them when visiting your home.
  • Replacement of sets cover – Included as standard with Home Insurance Ultimate. Following a successful claim for an item which forms part of a matching set or suite, we’ll replace or change any associated undamaged item of the matching set or suite if a reasonable match can’t be found.

What’s not covered by Halifax home contents insurance as standard?

  • Damage to your building – this should be insured separately by your landlord.
  • Any belongings in detached garages, sheds and outbuildings – unless selected as an added option.
  • Accidental damage – unless selected as an added option.

Get a quote.

We’ve made it easy for you to buy home insurance. Compare our two levels of cover side by side when you get a quote.

Get a quote online

Or call for a quote on 0800 085 6844.

Lines open Mon to Fri 8am – 8pm and Sat 8am – 4pm. (Times may vary on public holidays).

Calls will be recorded and may be monitored for training and/or quality purposes.

FSCS protected

Important information

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.