Bereavement help and advice.

When you’ve lost someone close to you, organising their finances can seem daunting. We’re here to provide practical help to take you through the process.

We’ve put together a guide including some frequently asked questions and a glossary of terms to help make things as simple and straightforward as possible.

How do I register a death with Halifax Share Dealing?

When an account holder passes away you’ll need to send us an original or certified copy of the death certificate.

We can accept certification from:

  • A solicitor registered on the official Law Society website

If the document is certified by a solicitor, they will need to note the document with their name, signature and an identifier or reference so that we can find them on the Law Society register.

  • A member of our branch staff

If the document is certified in a Halifax branch, it must bear the mark of the staff member who had sight of the original, their ID number and the official branch stamp.

Please send the document to:

Legal Department
Halifax Share Dealing
Lovell Park Road

What happens next?

Once we’ve received the death certificate we will update the account and issue a letter to the account’s registered address requesting a Grant of Probate (in Scotland this is called a Certificate of Confirmation) or Small Estates Form. This letter will include a valuation of the account and an Executor/Administration Instruction Form.

If the total value of the share dealing accounts at date of death was less than £50,000 and a Grant of Probate is not being obtained we can accept a Small Estates Declaration & Indemnity Form.

Please note that in Scotland, a small estate is classed as an estate with a total value of less than £36,000. Confirmation from the court will be required if the estate is valued above this amount.

Further information can be found at

Download a Small Estates Form

Please note: if the estate is valued at over £5,000 then the form will need counter signing by a solicitor registered on the official Law Society website.

Once we’ve received an Executor/Administration Instruction Form and either a Grant of Probate or Small Estates Form we will carry out the requested instructions.

We’ll arrange for all correspondence to be issued to the address of the named executor. If you wish to appoint a solicitor to manage the account and all instructions, you’ll need to send confirmation in writing to:

Legal Department
Halifax Share Dealing
Lovell Park Road

How do I sell shares/transfer shares/withdraw funds?

The named executor or solicitor will be sent an Executor/Administration Instruction Form which you’ll need to complete if you would like to sell shares, transfer shares to another account or withdraw cash from the account.

Please note: the form must contain original signatures from all named executors.

Download an Executor/Administration Instruction Form

What happens after I’ve sent in an Executor/Administration Instruction Form?

If you have requested to sell this will usually be done within one working day of receiving the Executor/Administration Instruction Form. It takes 2 working days for the trade to settle with the market and once settled we will arrange for the money to be sent by cheque to the name listed on the instruction form within approximately 10 working days.

You will be unable to transfer shares, withdraw available funds or the proceeds of a sale until the necessary identity and verification checks have been completed. All named executors listed in the Grant of Probate/Small Estates Form will be asked to complete these checks.

We will attempt to complete these checks electronically however if this isn’t possible, you’ll need to provide original or certified copies of documents from the below list. You will need to send us one document from the proof of identity list and one document from the proof of address list.

If you have sent a request to transfer stock to another Halifax Share Dealing account, this usually takes up to 10 working days to complete. Withdrawing stock onto a certificate can take considerably longer. We will be unable to complete a transfer or withdrawal unless all the necessary identity and verification checks have been completed.

What are the charges?

Probate valuation No charge

Distribution of assets

No charge
Dealing commission (per stock) £12.50 (sales only)
Transfer of stock(s) to another provider £25 per individual stock (max £125)
Withdrawal of stock onto a certificate £25 per certificate

SIPP Charges

AJ Bell Management Limited is the scheme administrator for the Halifax Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP). There are additional charges to be aware of listed below.

Payment of death benefits Time/cost basis

How do we take payment?

Any charges will be taken from the share dealing account where possible, however where there isn’t an available balance to pay some, or all of the charges, we’ll contact the executor by letter requesting an alternative payment method.

If you’d like to pay any of the charges by cheque please make this payable to Halifax Share Dealing Limited and send to the following address:

Halifax Share Dealing
Legal Department
Lovell Park Road



Any property or possession with monetary value.


The laws relating to inheritance and property in Scotland are very different to other parts of the United Kingdom (apart from the taxes that need to be paid on estates). The equivalent process to probate in Scotland is called ‘confirmation’.

In Scotland, a small estate is classed as an estate with a total value of less than £36,000. These can be dealt with by private individuals, although the requirement for confirmation will be decided by the individual companies you are dealing with.

The necessary forms can be obtained from the Sheriff Clerk’s office and the staff there will be able to help personal applicants for confirmation once all the information needed has been gathered. If the estate is larger than £36,000 and, especially if a property is involved, we recommend the use of a solicitor.

Current valuation

A document which confirms the value of the remaining assets (cash and/or stock) held within the account at the time of death. The valuation will help the executor to determine if a Grant of Probate or Small Estates Form is required.

Death certificate

A certified copy of the entry made in the Death Register. The registrar will be able, for a fee, to provide a number of certified copies to save time when you’re registering claims with various companies.

Distribution of assets

Distribution of the assets refers to the process of selling assets held within a share dealing account as instructed by the named executor of the account. Distribution of the assets can also refer to the executor’s choice to transfer assets held to an account in their own name or the withdrawal of assets onto a certificate.


As executor or administrator (executor-nominate or dative in Scotland) you may have responsibility for one or more of the following:

  • Registration of the death
  • Arranging the funeral service
  • Paying urgent expenses i.e. funeral costs
  • Obtaining legal documents (grants)
  • Informing financial institutions - banks, insurance companies, pensions
  • Listing all the assets and liabilities of the estate
  • Paying any tax liabilities i.e. inheritance tax
  • Appointing trustees if required for beneficiaries of the will

Grant of Probate

A grant of probate is an official document issued by the Probate Registry which the executors may need to administer the estate. This document will only be issued once the Probate Registry has received the necessary application forms from the named executor, the will’s validity has been checked, and any owed taxes are paid.

If the estate is small, or if it’s held in joint names and passes automatically to the surviving owner (as is often the case with married couples), you may not need to apply for probate.

If there’s a will, you’ll need to get a Grant of Probate; if there isn’t a will, you’ll need to get Letters of Administration (in Scotland this is called a Grant of Confirmation).


Probate is the process you go through if you’re handling the estate of someone who has died.

The process includes:

  • Identifying what’s in the estate and its value.
  • Completing the necessary application forms for both the probate registry and Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
  • Gathering the assets and dealing with any property, paying any debts and completing the legal processes to cover you against late claims in the estate.

The same application process has to be made by the administrator of an intestate estate, where there is no will. The grant issued in this situation is called ‘letters of administration’. If there is a will but no executor for any reason, the grant is called ‘letters of administration with will annexed’.

The responsibilities include making sure all taxes and debts are paid before any money can be given to beneficiaries (the people nominated to benefit from the will) and that in general the estate is managed in a way that best serves the beneficiaries.

Rules of intestacy

When a person dies without leaving a will they are described as dying intestate. Certain legal rules called the intestacy rules will determine how the person’s estate is distributed.


A deal to buy or sell an investment such as shares.

Citizens Advice Bureau

For help on practical and legal matters and contacts for counselling, help and support. Look in your telephone directory for your local office or visit in England and Wales, in Scotland or in Northern Ireland.

Cruse Bereavement Care

For general information, counselling and support. Tel: 0800 731 4044 or visit

Lesbian and Gay Bereavement Project

For support after the death of a partner. London Friend, 86 Caledonian Road, London N1 9DN. Tel: 020 7833 1674.

Compassionate Friends

For support after the death of a child. 53 North Street, Bristol BS3 1EN. Tel: 0345 123 2304 or visit

National Association of Funeral Directors

Members must follow their code of practice. 618 Warwick Road, West Midlands B91 1AA. Tel: 0845 230 1343 or visit

The Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors

They have a code of practice for members to follow. 3 Bullfields, Sawbridgeworth, Herts CM21 9DB. Tel: 0345 230 6777 or visit

Veterans Agency

Help with costs of simple funerals for those receiving war disablement pensions. Norcross, Blackpool FY5 3WP. Tel: 0800 169 2277 or visit

Natural Death Centre

For information about alternative and environmentally friendly funerals and committals. In the Mill House, Watley Lane, Twyford, Winchester SO21 1QX. Tel: 01962 712690 or visit

British Humanist Association

Information about non-religious and secular funeral services. 1 Gower Street, London WC1E 6HD. Tel: 020 7079 3580 or visit

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

For a licence for a sea burial. DEFRA, Marine Environment Branch, Room 132, Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR. Tel: 0345 933 5577 or visit

National Association of Memorial Masons

Holds a database of names of local monumental masons for tombstones and memorials. Castle Mews, Rugby, Warwickshire CV21 2XL. Tel: 01788 542264, Fax: 01788 542276, email or visit

Probate Registry

For application for powers to process the will in England and Wales: Tel: 0845 30 20 900 or visit

The General Register for Scotland

New Register House, 3 West Register Street, Edinburgh EH1 3YT. Tel: 0131 334 0380 or visit

HM Revenue & Customs

For help with tax issues. HMRC Capital Taxes, Ferrers House, PO Box 38, Nottingham NG2 1BB. Tel: 0845 30 20 900 or visit

Organ donation

The NHS Organ Donor register. NHS Blood and Transplant, Organ Donation and Transplant Directorate, Fox Den Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol BS34 8RR. Tel: 0300 123 2323 or visit

Terrence Higgins Trust

Support for HIV and AIDS.

314-320 Gray's Road, London WC1X 8DP. Tel: 0808 802 1221 or visit


Support for inquests - Offering legal aid and support for those involved in inquests. 89-93 Fonthill Road, London N4 3JH. Tel: 020 7263 1111 or visit

Passport Service

Gives details of addresses of regional offices. Tel: 03002 220 000 or visit

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BY or visit

Getting in touch

If you have any questions or you’d like some help, you can call us on

0800 876 6847

Our dedicated Bereavement team are available Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm (closed weekends and English Bank Holidays).

If you need to call us from abroad, you can call us on +44 (0) 113 270 1154.

Useful contacts

ISA holdings and bereavement

Where an ISA holder died on, or after, 3rd December 2014, their surviving spouse or civil partner can inherit their ISA tax benefits.

This is referred to as the Additional Permitted Subscription (APS) allowance and is based upon the value of the ISA held by the person who died. The spouse or civil partner does not have to inherit the ISA and can use the APS allowance in addition to their own annual ISA allowance.

Details about how to claim the APS allowance will be sent to the executor(s) as part of the bereavement process.

Halifax Share Dealing Limited.  Registered in England and Wales no. 3195646.  Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2RG.  Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, 12 Endeavour Square, London, E20 1JN under registration number 183332.  A Member of the London Stock Exchange and an HM Revenue & Customs Approved ISA Manager.