Depositing share certificates
Depositing your existing share certificates is simple and once it’s done there’s no need to worry about missing paperwork – your shares will be held securely in our electronic nominee.
- Once your share certificates are deposited you can deal online for just £12.50 commission or over the telephone for £25.
- You can view your account valuation 24/7 using our online service (prices are 15 minutes delayed).
- Your trade will settle in just 2 working days compared to 10 working days for certificate trades.
- Use our FREE market research centre for all the latest charts, news and prices.
- Automatic dividend reinvestment - choose to have dividends from UK and Irish CREST eligible stocks automatically reinvested.
How to deposit share certificates
- Before you can deposit any certificates you will need to open a Halifax Share Dealing Account.
- Simply download and print out a Transfer Form and a CREST Transfer Form for each stock holding.
- Complete, sign and return the forms, attach the relevant share certificates and return to the address provided on the transfer forms.
You will be unable to trade any stocks being deposited into your account whilst the transfer is pending. We can only transfer holdings where there is no change in beneficial ownership i.e. the account name should match the name on the certificate. We also recommend that you send your certificate by recorded or special delivery as we accept no responsibility for the loss of any certificates.
Depositing share certificates into a Stocks and Shares ISA
It isn’t possible to directly transfer a certificate into your ISA unless it has come from an approved HMRC scheme/plan (see Transferring shares from an HMRC approved scheme/plan).
To transfer the shares into your Stocks and Shares ISA, you can:
- Open a Halifax Share Dealing Account and a Halifax Stocks and Shares ISA.
- Deposit the share certificate into a Halifax Share Dealing Account. This takes approximately 10 working days.
Once the shares are showing in your account, place an order to sell over the phone. Please note, this may trigger an event for Capital Gains Tax purposes.
- You can then invest in any ISA eligible investment.
Telephone dealing commission is £25 per trade, so if you decide to complete this process we’ll waive the repurchase dealing commission to ensure you don’t pay any more than trading online.
Transferring shares from an HMRC approved scheme/plan
Under HM Revenue & Customs regulations it isn’t possible to directly transfer shares into an ISA unless they were purchased as part of an HMRC approved Save As You Earn (SAYE) option scheme or a Share Incentive Plan (SIP). These were formerly known as Approved Employee Share Ownership Plans.
If your shares have matured from an approved plan, you’ll need to send us a written request to directly transfer your shares into your Stocks and Shares ISA, along with proof that the shares have been exercised (or withdrawn from an SIP) in the last 90 days. This is known as a Letter of Appropriation and can be obtained from your share scheme administrator.
We would recommend that you send your request at least two weeks before the end of the 90 day period to give us time to carry out relevant checks.
Download the 90 day transfer form (for shares held online)
Download the 90 day transfer form (for certificated shares)
Once you’ve filled in your form, please send it to:
ISA Administration Department
Halifax Share Dealing Limited
Lovell Park Road