How to complain
If you're not happy with our products or service, let us know.
If you have a complaint, we like to be able to talk to you about it as soon as possible. More than 90% of our customers who tell us about their complaint in branch or by phone, have their complaint resolved to their satisfaction there and then.
Find out how to complain about Payment Protection Insurance (PPI).
Come into branch
Come and see us in any of our branches to talk to a member of the team.
Call our Telephone Banking Service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
on 08457 20 30 40.
If you've a hearing impairment you can use textphone number 08457 32 34 36. Lines are open 9am - 5.00pm, 7 days a week. You'll need specialised equipment to use this service.
If you're calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0845 number, you can call us on
+44 0113 366 0167.
Other ways to complain
As well as being able to complain in branch or by phone, you can complain online, or by writing to us, but it will take longer for your complaint to reach us by post.
Let us know online
Fill in our online complaint form. It shouldn't take you too long to complete and one of our colleagues will call you back as soon as possible.
For security reasons, we can't discuss your accounts by email. Please include your telephone number (providing a mobile number where possible) on the form so that we can call you. You'll be able to specify a time of day for the call that suits you.
Please don't use this form to submit a query or complaint about Payment Protection Insurance.
Write to us
In order for us to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, please include the following information in your letter:
- Your account details – this helps us to find the account you are complaining about.
- As much information about the complaint as you feel able to give.
- Are there any particular actions you wish us to take to resolve your complaint? If so, please include them.
- We will contact you by phone once we receive your letter, so it’s important that you tell us the best telephone number and the best time to contact you.
Write to us at Halifax, PO Box 761, Leeds, LS1 9JF. To help us resolve your complaint quicker, please include your telephone number (providing a mobile number where possible) and advise when the most suitable time is for us to call you.
Claims Management Companies (CMCs)
We'll treat your complaint in exactly the same way whether we receive the complaint directly from you or from a Claims Management Company (CMC). You don't need to use a CMC and they'll typically charge an upfront fee or take a proportion of any compensation you may be due. By coming directly to us you'll not be disadvantaged.
How we'll handle your complaint
- We will do all we can to resolve your complaint on the same day.
- If we do not manage to resolve the complaint within 5 working days we'll write to give you an update and let you know when you can expect a full response.
- Once all the details of the complaint have been investigated, (we may call you for further details) we will issue a ‘final response’ to your complaint.
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) allow 8 weeks for us to resolve complaints but we will aim to get your complaint resolved well before this deadline.
If you're still not happy
We'll issue a final response to your complaint when we've completed our investigations. If you're dissatisfied with the final response, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to look at your complaint - provided you've tried to resolve the matter directly with us first. They'll also look at the case if we've taken more than 8 weeks to issue the final response.
We hope you won't need to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service but if you do, please find their contact details below:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
Telephone: 08450 80 18 00