How to complain
If you're not happy with our products or service, let us know.
If you have a complaint, we like to be able to talk to you about it as soon as possible. More than 90% of our customers who tell us about their complaint in branch or by phone, have their complaint resolved to their satisfaction there and then.
Find out how to complain about Payment Protection Insurance (PPI).
Come into branch
Come and see us in any of our branches to talk to a member of the team.
Call our Telephone Banking Service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
on 0800 072 9779.
If you've a hearing impairment you can use textphone number 0800 056 7294. Lines are open 9am - 5.00pm, 7 days a week. You'll need specialised equipment to use this service.
If you're calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0800 number, you can call us on
+44 0113 366 0167 or +44 0113 366 0141 for textphone.
Other ways to complain
As well as being able to complain in branch or by phone, you can complain online, or by writing to us, but it will take longer for your complaint to reach us by post.
Let us know online
Fill in our online complaint form. It shouldn't take you too long to complete and one of our colleagues will call you back as soon as possible.
For security reasons, we can't discuss your accounts by email. Please include your telephone number (providing a mobile number where possible) on the form so that we can call you. You'll be able to specify a time of day for the call that suits you.
Please don't use this form to submit a query or complaint about Payment Protection Insurance.
Write to us
In order for us to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, please include the following information in your letter:
- Your account details – this helps us to find the account you are complaining about.
- As much information about the complaint as you feel able to give.
- Are there any particular actions you wish us to take to resolve your complaint? If so, please include them.
- We will contact you by phone once we receive your letter, so it’s important that you tell us the best telephone number and the best time to contact you.
Write to us at Halifax, PO Box 761, Leeds, LS1 9JF. To help us resolve your complaint quicker, please include your telephone number (providing a mobile number where possible) and advise when the most suitable time is for us to call you.
Claims Management Companies (CMCs)
We'll treat your complaint in exactly the same way whether we receive the complaint directly from you or from a Claims Management Company (CMC). You don't need to use a CMC and they'll typically charge an upfront fee or take a proportion of any compensation you may be due. By coming directly to us you'll not be disadvantaged.
How we'll handle your complaint
- We will do all we can to resolve your complaint on the same day.
- If we do not manage to resolve the complaint within 5 working days we'll write to give you an update and let you know when you can expect a full response.
- Once all the details of the complaint have been investigated, (we may call you for further details) we will issue a ‘final response’ to your complaint.
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) allow 8 weeks for us to resolve complaints but we will aim to get your complaint resolved well before this deadline.
If you're still not happy
Halifax is a member of the Financial Ombudsman Service, which offers an independent review service. So, if you're still not happy with the agreement we have proposed, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to look at your case for free.
If you have a problem with your agreement, please try to resolve it with us in the first instance. If you are not happy with the way in which we handled your complaint or the result, you may be able to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If you do not take up your problem with us first you will not be entitled to complain to the Ombudsman. We can provide details of how to contact the Ombudsman:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
Telephone: 08450 80 18 00