Using Your Credit Card & Managing Your Account
Using your card
You can use your card in any shop or cash machine at home or abroad, that displays the MasterCard or Visa symbol, depending on your type of card.
Most of our products also have fees on balance transfers, cash advances and cheques and any transactions you make overseas could also incur a foreign currency exchange fee of 2.95%. Please see your Credit Card Conditions or monthly statements for more details.
Most of our products also have fees on balance transfers and cheques. Please see your Credit Card Conditions or monthly statements for more details.
The minimum monthly payment you must make will be shown on your statement, including the date your payment must reach us by.
You can make your payments by
- Online - If you have a Halifax Current Account you can make a payment via www.halifax.co.uk/online and your payment will normally be credited to your account within 2 hours. If you do not have a Halifax Current Account, please make sure you quote your credit card number and check with your online banking provider that your payment will reach your account by the due date shown.
- Standing Order - To set up a standing order please contact the bank where your current account is held, you'll need to check that your payment will reach your account by the payment due date and make sure the amount covers the minimum payment (as this will vary). You need to provide your bank with the following information, allowing 4 working days before the due date shown.
Bank Sort Code no 80-20-45
Bank Account no 00213765
Your reference number which is your 16 digit account number.
- Telephone Banking with Halifax - if you have a Halifax Current Account you can pay by phone by calling 08457 20 30 40. Your payment will normally be credited to your account within 2 hours or to make a debit card payment from another provider allow 4 working days before the payment due date for the payment to reach your account.
- Telephone Banking with another bank - you will need to provide these details:
Bank Sort Code no: 80-20-45
Bank Account no: 00213765
Your reference number, which is your 16 digit account number
Please check with your Telephone Banking provider that your payment will reach your account by the due date shown.
- Direct Debit - This can be for a fixed amount, the minimum amount or full monthly payment and you will need to provide us with your bank account number and sort code - call us on 08457 28 38 48 (If your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) (Mon-Sun, 24 hours) to set up over the phone or request a mandate.
- By Post - Complete the payment slip attached to the bottom of the statement and send a cheque to Halifax Card Services, Pitreavie Business Park, Dunfermline KY99 4BS (if your card number begins 525303 please send a cheque to Card Services, Halifax (195), PO BOX 109, Sheffield, S98 1GE), or in the envelope provided with your monthly statement – please make your cheque payable to the cardholder (the person whose name appears on the statement) e.g. Mr James Brown and your 16 digit card/account number – this may be different to the way you normally write a cheque – please allow 7 working days for your payment to reach us.
- In the branch - Call into any Halifax branch– simply hand in the giro credit slip with cash or a cheque - you can make a payment up until the day your payment is due however we recommend that you give extra time. Let the counter staff know when your payment is due.
- International Payments - When making payment from an overseas bank account you may be asked to give our Iban and Swift/Bic code.
Iban - GB78BOFS80204500213765
or, if your card number begins 525303
Iban - GB38LOYD30675699067997
Swift/Bic - LOYDGB21705
- Do not send cash in the post
- Please remember to allow extra time for your payment to reach us over bank holiday periods
- There is a £12 charge for payment not received on or before the payment to reach us by date
If you require any other information regarding payments please contact our customer service team on 08457 28 38 48 (if your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) (Mon-Sun, 24 hours).
We also accept payment using the Faster Payments Service (FPS).
For more details, see the reverse of your monthly statement.
Change your statement payment due date
If you want to change the date your monthly credit card payments are due, perhaps to coincide with your pay day, just call 08457 28 38 48 (if your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) (Mon-Sun, 24 hours) and we'll change the date for you.
There is a £5 fee for changing the date more than twice in any 6 month period.
Credit card statement enquiries
If you have a query about a particular transaction on your statement, call us on 08457 28 38 48 (if your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) (Mon-Sun, 24 hours).
Cancelling lost or stolen credit card cheques
If you lose or have your credit card cheques stolen, you should call us immediately on 08457 20 30 99 (Mon-Sun, 24 hours) and we will then cancel them.
There is no charge for this service.
Lost, stolen and damaged credit cards
If you lose or have your credit card stolen, you should call us immediately on 08457 20 30 99 (Mon-Sun, 24 hours). We will then cancel the card and arrange for a replacement to be sent to you.
If your card is damaged, you can arrange for a replacement to be issued by calling 08457 28 38 48 (if your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) (Mon-Sun, 24 hours).
Your credit card PIN
With the introduction of Chip and PIN, you will have to key your PIN when you make purchases at Chip and PIN participating retailers. If you enter your PIN incorrectly three times, then your PIN and card will become locked.
If you use your credit card to make cash withdrawals, your card will taken by the cash machine after nine consecutive incorrect attempts.
If you've forgotten your PIN, you can now request a PIN reminder which will be sent through the post. Simply contact us on 08457 28 38 48 (if your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) (Mon - Sun, 24 hours) and your PIN reminder will then be sent to you by post within 3 to 5 working days.
Please note that for security purposes, we cannot provide your PIN details over the phone.
You can change or unlock your credit card PIN at any cash machine that displays the Link symbol. Just follow the on-screen instructions. Usually this is found within the pin services option.
Note: you cannot change or unlock your pin abroad
Chip and Signature
What happens if I have a disability that makes using Chip & PIN difficult?
Customers who are genuinely unable to use or remember a PIN can ask for a chip and signature card instead. This lets customers complete transactions in shops by signing.
If you have a Halifax debit card, you can contact any branch or use Telephone Banking for help – you’ll find the number on your statement. If you have a Halifax credit card, you can call 08457 28 38 48 (if your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) (Mon-Sun, 24 hours).
We have been working with the Payments Council on a cross-industry project to improve awareness of alternatives to PIN amongst people who are unable to use a PIN, bank staff and retailers.
We have other options available for disabled customers who are unable to use a PIN or sign their signature.
Changing your address
To update your address, complete the Change of address form and post it back to us.
If you’re an online user, a link to this form is also available online by selecting ‘Change details’ from the ‘My accounts’ page.
You can also change your address by calling our customer services dept. on 08457 28 38 48 (if your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) (Mon-Sun, 24 hours). You will need to have your credit card when you call to change your address over the telephone.
Updating your name
To change the name on your credit card account, you’ll need to visit your local branch, taking with you your original name-change documentation (Marriage Certificate, Deed Poll, etc).
Adding an additional cardholder
The maximum number of additional cardholders allowed is 3. The additional cardholder must be:
- Aged 18 or over - their date of birth and nationality must be provided
- Primarily resident at your current address - for example, your son/daughter/dependant may be away at University, but their financial accounts remains at your address
- An immediate family member - spouse, partner, parent, brother, sister, grandparent or dependent
To add a new cardholder or to remove/amend an existing cardholder (amendments apply to name and nationality only), please contact us on 0845 28 38 48 (if your card number begins 525303 please dial 08459 444 555) Mon-Sun, 24 hours.
Please note that additional cardholders will not be able to view the credit card online.
As principal cardholder, you are responsible for all transactions made on any additional cards. If the additional card is withdrawn, you must retrieve and destroy the card, during which time you are still liable for all transactions made using that card.
If for any reason you cannot retrieve the card, please call the card services team on the number shown on the reverse of your card.
Credit card services available online
Manage your credit card online and you'll have access to the full range of online card services:
- View your last statement and balance
- View any recent transactions - these will appear on your next statement
- Pay your monthly bills online if you have a bank account with us
- Transfer balances from other credit or store cards
To make use of these services, you'll need to register for our online service. If you’re already registered for the online service, your account will be available to view on ’My accounts’
Closing your account
We're sorry to hear that you wish to close your account. To close your account please call our customer services department on 08708 50 02 43* (8am - 9pm Mon - Fri & 9am - 5pm Sat), or write to us at the following address:
Pitreavie Business Park