Depositing share certificates
Depositing your existing share certificates is simple and once it’s done there’s no need to worry about missing paperwork – your shares will be held securely in our electronic nominee.
- Once your share certificates are deposited you can deal online for just £11.95 commission or over the telephone from £25.
- You can view your account valuation 24/7 using our online service (prices are 15 minutes delayed).
- Your trade will settle in just 3 working days (10 working days for certificate trades).
- Use our FREE market research centre for all the latest charts, news and prices.
- Automatic dividend reinvestment - choose to have dividends from UK and Irish CREST eligible stocks automatically reinvested.
How to deposit share certificates
- Before you can deposit any certificates you will need to open a Halifax Share Dealing Account.
- Simply download and print out a Transfer Form and a CREST Transfer Form for each stock holding.
- Complete, sign and return the forms, attach the relevant share certificates and return to the address provided on the transfer forms.
You will be unable to trade any stocks being deposited into your account whilst the transfer is pending. We can only transfer holdings where there is no change in beneficial ownership i.e. the account name should match the name on the certificate. We also recommend that you send your certificate by recorded or special delivery as we accept no responsibility for the loss of any certificates.
Depositing into a Self-Select Stocks & Shares ISA
Under HM Revenue & Customs regulations it is not possible to directly transfer existing holdings into an ISA unless they have matured from an approved employee sharesave, share option or share incentive plan within the last 90 days. If the shares are not from such a plan and you hold paper share certificates you will need to deposit them into a Share Dealing Account, sell the shares then reinvest the proceeds into a Self-Select Stocks & Shares ISA. This sale may trigger a gain for Capital Gains Tax purposes.
If your shares have matured from an approved plan you will need to send us a written request to directly transfer your shares into your Self-Select Stocks & Shares ISA, along with proof that the shares have matured from an approved scheme into your name in the last 90 days. We would recommend that you send such requests at least two weeks before the end of the 90 day period to give us time to carry out relevant checks. Please send this for the attention of Halifax Share Dealing ISA Administration Department at Halifax Share Dealing Limited, Lovell Park Road, Leeds, LS1 1NS. If you have any questions about this please do not hesitate to call us on 08457 22 55 25.
We do not offer a certificated share transfer facility into our SIPP
Transfer to us
If you hold investments with another broker, ISA Manager or SIPP Provider you can get all the great benefits of the Halifax Share Dealing service by transferring your accounts to us.
How to transfer to us
- Before you can transfer your shares to us you will need to open a Halifax Share Dealing Account, Stocks & Shares ISA or SIPP.
- Once the account is opened, simply download, print out and complete the appropriate transfer form at the bottom of the page.
- Please ensure that you read any notes which may accompany the form, then sign it and return it to the address provided on the form.
You will be unable to trade any stocks being deposited into your account whilst the transfer is pending and we accept no liability for any loss of trading opportunity during the transfer. We strive to ensure every transfer is completed as quickly as possible however the timescale is largely dependent on your existing provider and the registrars of each stock held – the process may take several weeks to complete. Your existing provider may charge you a transfer fee.
Transfer between accounts
If you would like to transfer investments between two Halifax Share Dealing Accounts or to another Halifax Share Dealing customer, you can do this quickly and easily by completing an internal transfer form.
Simply download, print out and complete the form, sign it and return it to the address provided on the form. We will electronically transfer your investments to the account code you provide within 3-5 working days of the day we receive your signed instruction.
Please note that you cannot directly transfer investments into or out of a Self-Select Stocks & Shares ISA, Funds ISA or SIPP.
Trading U.S securities
Halifax Share Dealing Limited has obligations to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with respect to customers that hold U.S. securities and receive U.S. source income. We are required to obtain documentation from these customers that allow us to comply with these obligations and, where the customer is eligible, we can provide a reduced rate of withholding tax to their U.S. income. Therefore, customers who intend to trade in U.S. securities or who are currently holding U.S. securities must provide a valid Form W-8 or Form W-9.
Please note that we do not provide tax advice and if you have any questions you should consult a professional tax advisor.
- Download a W-8BEN form
- Download instructions for the W8-BEN form
- Download a W-9 form
- Download instructions for the W-9 form
- Download a W-8ECI form
- Download instructions for the W-8ECI form
- Download a W-8EXP form
- Download instructions for the W-8EXP form
- Download a W-8IMY form
- Download instructions for the W-8IMY form