How to buy shares
Whether you're looking for shares to buy once or twice a year or you want to trade several times a day, we have a share dealing account to suit your needs. We have a range of services available to suit beginners to the stock market or the more experienced trader.
What can I buy?
- UK shares - buy shares on the London Stock Exchange’s main market or Alternative Investment Market (AIM)
- International shares - buy shares on six international stock markets
- Funds - spread your money between different sectors, indices and markets
- Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) - pooled investments which are traded like stocks and shares
- Bonds - issued by companies to raise money (essentially loans made by investors to companies)
- Gilts - bonds issued by HM Treasury
- Preference shares - a class of share which pays a fixed rate of dividend
- Warrants - gives the holders the right to purchase shares in a company at a specific price on a future date
Which account should I use?
If you’re brand new to trading you might want to try our Fantasy Trader Account - we give you £10,000 to practice trading risk-free. However, if you’re ready to start trading then our basic Share Dealing Account might be the best place to start - we don’t charge any administration or inactivity fees and you can trade real-time for just £12.50 commission or use a regular investment plan to trade from just £2 commission per stock. You could also trade tax-efficiently by using a Stocks & Shares ISA or if you’re interested in pension planning you could open a Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP).
How do I research stocks and shares?
You can use our dedicated market research centre to find prices, charts, news and analysis to help you buy shares with confidence.