Don’t miss our ISA offer
Open a Stocks & Shares ISA, invest £10,000 or more and leave it invested until 30 November, and we'll give you a £100 bonus
Please remember that the value of an investment and the income from it can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you invested. We don't provide advice so if you are in any doubt about making your own investment decisions we recommend you seek advice from a suitably qualified financial adviser. There will normally be a charge for that advice. Tax treatment depends on individual circumstances and may change in the future.
What is a Stocks and Shares ISA?
• A Stocks and Shares ISA allows you to invest money without having to pay UK income tax on the income earned and capital gains tax on profits made. With ISAs, there is a limit to how much money you can save or invest per tax year. This is known as the ISA allowance.
• This tax year’s allowance is £20,000. This means you can save or invest up to £20,000 this tax year without paying Capital Gains or UK Income Tax.
• You have complete flexibility as you can choose to invest your money in a wide range of stocks and shares from the UK and international markets, managed funds, Exchange Traded Funds, bonds, gilts and more.
• Any money you make in profit or dividends is completely free from UK tax.
• You can invest in a way that suits you by choosing to invest a lump sum at any time, or if you don’t want to invest a large amount, you can invest on a monthly basis.
Understanding a Stocks and Shares ISA
• Halifax Stocks and Shares ISAs are not flexible ISAs, so money you withdraw then pay back in during the same tax year will count towards your £20,000 ISA allowance.
• You can only subscribe to one Stocks and Shares ISA per tax year.
• When opening a Stocks and Shares ISA, a separate Share Dealing Account will automatically be opened for you.