A Halifax Basic Account may be available if you don’t meet the conditions for one of our other current accounts.
This might be because you’re bankrupt, in financial difficulty, or if we’re not able to obtain information about your credit history.
Features of this account:
To apply for Halifax Basic Account you must be 18 or older and be legally resident in the European Union (EU). If you already have a current account with another UK bank, you will need to switch when we open your Halifax Basic Account.
Before we open your account we need to see proof of your identity and address.
To complete your application, we will require original documents sent by post, which will be returned to you securely in due course. We don’t accept expired documents or documents printed off the internet.
Identity documents you can send by post:
- current passport
- EU/EEA photo driving licence
- EU/EEA photo identity card
- other documents can be accepted if presented in person in one of our UK branches.
If you have a non EU/EEA passport, we will also need proof of EU residency with your passport.
We have designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way. It will only take seven working days. As your new current-account provider we offer the following guarantee.
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
- We will take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example, your salary).
- If you have money in your old account, we will transfer it to your new account on your switch date.
- We will arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We will also contact the sender and give them your new account details.
- If there are any issues in making the switch, we will contact you before your switch date.
- If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we will refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges made on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.