You’re getting married! Congratulations! With a Halifax wedding loan, we can help make budgeting for your special day that little bit easier.
What is a wedding loan?
- A wedding loan is a personal loan that you can use to pay for some or all of your wedding costs. This means you can spread the cost of your wedding with fixed monthly payments.
- Halifax current account holders can apply for £1,000 - £35,000 (between £1,000 and £25,000 if you don’t have a Halifax current account).
3.5% APR representative for loans of £7,500 to £25,000 over 1 to 5 years
The cost of a wedding can be an eye-watering amount. Here are a few tips to help you cut costs.
Apply for a wedding loan
With Halifax it's easy to apply for a wedding loan. The decision whether to offer you a loan, the amount we’ll lend you and the interest rate will all be based on an assessment of your individual circumstances. If you hold a Halifax current account, in most cases we’ll tell you how much you can borrow and if you’re likely to be approved when you get your quote. This won’t affect your credit score. Check out how it works for existing and new customers:
Why choose Halifax?
- Instant decision - Apply in minutes and get an instant decision on your loan when you apply online
- Repayment holidays - Ask for up to two repayment holidays a year (subject to approval). Interest will be charged for the months you don’t make any payments. This means you'll pay more interest overall and your original term will be extended.
- Quick access to your loan - If you have a Halifax bank account, if approved you could have the money in your account in minutes. If you don't have a Halifax bank account, if approved, you should get the money within 24 hours (no more than 5 working days).
You can apply for a wedding loan if:
- You’re aged 18 or over and live in the UK (excluding the Channel Islands and Isle of Man).
- You’re in paid employment or have regular income.
- You’re not a full time student.
- You haven’t had a request for credit declined in the past month.
- You don’t have a history of bad credit such as bankruptcy or CCJs.
Saving as much as you can afford before you get married is often the cheapest way of paying for your wedding. However, we know it’s not always that easy and you may need to borrow to cover some costs.
A loan can help you to spread the cost of your big day but you’re likely to pay interest on it. This means it’ll cost you more overall. You’ll need to decide whether the interest charged is worth the convenience of paying in fixed monthly instalments.
You can use our loan calculator to get an idea of what your monthly repayments may look like.
If you do want to borrow money to help pay for your wedding, there are many options available, such as credit cards and overdrafts. It’s important to choose the one that suits you best. View our borrowing options.
You can use our wedding loans to pay for just about any aspect of your big day, from the venue to the photographer and everything in between. However, as our wedding loans are just personal loans, you don’t actually have to use it for your wedding if you don’t need to. Once you have the money, you can use it for just about anything, but there are some restrictions. We can’t give you a loan for:
- Any illegal activity.
- Speculative purchases, e.g. gambling, investments and share purchases.
- Business related purposes.
- The purchase or lease of land or property, either in full or in part. This includes deposits.
- Timeshares/holiday clubs.
These limits apply whether you want to borrow money for yourself, or to support someone else. For example, you can’t take out a loan and give it to someone as a deposit for a house.
If you get a personalised quote then we don’t do any credit checks, which means you’re credit score won’t be affected.
However, if you go ahead and apply for a wedding loan, we’ll perform a credit check. This is to help us understand if you’re likely to have any issues paying the loan back.
Basically, the interest helps to work out the cost of borrowing money. We look at lots of things when working out your interest rate, such as:
- Credit history
- Past account history
- How much you want to borrow
- How long you want to repay the loan over
- Other personal details we hold
The interest is added on to your monthly repayments and is fixed for as long as you have the loan.
When you apply, we’ll tell you how much your monthly repayments will be – this is a fixed amount that won’t change. We’ll start taking the payments by Direct Debit the month after you apply – you can choose a date that suits you and change it if you need to.
If you want to, you can make extra payments with no charge. However, if you pay the loan off early, we may charge you up to 58 days’ interest.
If you miss a payment then we’ll try and take it again within 7 days. If we still can’t take payment then we will charge you £25. You may be charged further if you miss more payments. Full details will be provided when you apply.
Lending and rate are subject to status. Available to UK residents aged 18+.
Loans are provided by Halifax. Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ.