Green Living Reward
Thinking about making your home greener? You could claim up to £1,000 cashback when you make qualifying improvements to your home.
To qualify for the Green Living Reward (we will call this the Reward) you must:
- Be raising funds through a Halifax mortgage on a property for qualifying energy efficiency improvements on that property. The Reward is available to customers purchasing their first home, moving to a new home or purchasing a buy to let property. The Reward is also available to existing Halifax mortgage customers borrowing more for home improvements and customers remortgaging to us from another lender and borrowing more for home improvements.
- Apply directly online via our Halifax or Bank of Scotland branch, websites or by telephone between 7th February 2022 and 31st July 2022
- Register for the Reward by 31st August 2022
- Complete your mortgage transaction and the improvements, and have told us that you have completed them including submission of your invoice evidence by 28th February 2023
- For further guidance on invoice submission please see the FAQs
You will not qualify if:
- Your mortgage application is made through a Mortgage Broker
- You change the type of application during the process for example if you are no longer borrowing additional funds for home improvements as a part of your remortgage application
- There are arrears on your mortgage account. For the purpose of these rules arrears means when a total sum of £1 or more of the monthly payment(s) due remain unpaid at the time you notify us that your green home improvements are complete.
How to register
Your Halifax mortgage adviser can complete the registration for you or you can register online yourself.
How it works
We will aim to pay the Reward to customers who qualify within 30 days from when you tell us the work has been completed and submit evidence in the form of an invoice. We will tell you how to do this when you register.
The Reward will be paid into the account that funds the mortgage. If you don't have a direct debit set up to pay your mortgage you will need to speak to us to arrange payment.
You can only claim one Green Living Reward for a property even if you are doing a number of home improvements or if you make more than one mortgage application for that property in the qualifying period. You cannot claim a Green Living Reward for a ground or air source heat pump installation and other eligible improvements separately.
Other important information
Halifax is not responsible for the improvements carried out by your chosen supplier. Halifax releasing the funds to you does not guarantee the quality of the work done by the supplier and it is up to you to ensure that you are satisfied with the improvements carried out. Halifax cannot make any guarantee about the costs of the work required or any savings that can be made and you are responsible for making your own decision.
You agree that Halifax may contact you with reminders about this Reward and for research purposes.
Halifax reserve the right to withdraw the Reward at any time.
How does the Green Living Reward work?
To qualify for the cashback reward, you'll need to:
- apply for a qualifying mortgage between 7th February 2022 and 31st July 2022
- register for the reward by 31st August 2022
- complete on your mortgage and notify us that the work has been completed by 28th February 2023
You'll need to make at least one energy-efficiency home improvements from our recommended list to be eligible for the cashback reward.
You can get:
- £1,000 cashback once you've installed ground or air heat pump or
- £500 cashback once you've implemented one or more eligible home improvement from the following areas:
- windows and doors
- heating controls
- low carbon heating
- Solar PV Panels and Solar Battery storage
Can I get multiple rewards if I make more than one energy efficient home improvement?
No, you can only claim one reward for each property. You will only be able to register and receive the cashback once, even if you take out a joint mortgage.
Can I qualify if I have an existing Halifax mortgage?
Our existing mortgage customers qualify if they apply for additional borrowing for qualifying home improvements between 7th February 2022 and 31st July 2022. You'll also need to register for the Green Living Reward by 31st August 2022 and submit your claim for the cashback reward by 28th February 2023. Our minimum additional borrowing amount is £10,000.
It's important to think carefully taking out additional borrowing against your mortgage as other borrowing options may be more suitable for your needs. If you'd like some help to decide if additional borrowing is right for you, please speak to your branch or call us on 0345 850 3705. Our lines are open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am - 4pm on Saturdays. We're closed Sundays and Bank Holidays.
You could lose your home if you don’t keep up your mortgage repayments.
Can I register if I don't qualify for a Government Grant?
Yes, you can as long as you meet the Halifax and Green Living Reward rules.
How do I register?
Apply for a qualifying mortgage between 7th February 2022 and 31st July 2022. Register for the Green Living Reward by 31st August 2022.
How do I claim the Reward?
You have until the 28th February 2023 to claim the reward, using our online form. Once you've submitted your claim, we'll send you an email with a document upload link within three working days. You will need to use this link to upload an invoice for your completed home improvement(s). If your claim is successful, we will aim to pay your reward into the account you use to make your mortgage payments within 30 days. If your payment doesn't arrive for any reason, please contact your Mortgage and Protection Adviser.
How do I submit my invoice?
- When you submit your Green Living Reward claim form, we’ll send you an email to request the invoice within three working days. The email will include a secure document upload link.
- To keep your details safe, it’s important that you only use the link to submit your invoice and follow the instructions carefully. You should not send your invoice to us in an email.
- To ensure your claim is successful, please upload a PDF copy of your invoice. The document upload link will only work once, so make sure that all the relevant documents are uploaded at the same time and include all of the following details:
- Your name and address.
- The name and address of the person or company who carried out the work.
- Invoice number.
- Date the invoice was raised. This must be after February 6 2022.
- Description of your home improvements.
- Total amount payable.
- Once your invoice has successfully uploaded, we will aim to pay the cashback to eligible customers within 30 days.
What happens if my home improvements are delayed?
If you're unable to complete the work on time for any reasons outside of your control, you should use the Green Living Reward notification of delay form to let us know no later than 28th February 2023.
How can I decide what home improvements to make?
Have you tried our Home Energy Savings Tool? It's really quick and easy to use. Just answer a few questions about your home and it'll give you a personalised action plan with estimates of your Energy Performace Certificate (EPC) rating, energy costs and your home's CO2 emissions.
Your action plan will also give you tips on which energy efficient improvements you could make and how much they might cost. It will also show you how much money each improvement could save you and will give you an idea of the benefits for the environment.
You can call our dedicated phone line for further independent guidance from Energy Savings Trust once you've received your personalised report.
For impartial guidance on improving the energy efficiency of your home, give our free home energy efficiency support line a call on 0808 196 8258. The advisers at Energy Saving Trust will be happy to discuss your personalised action plan and answer any questions you may have. The telephone line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (except public holidays).
What types of home improvements are eligible for the reward?
There is a wide range of eligible home improvements. Find out which home improvements are eligible.
How do I prove the work is completed?
Once you've submitted the Green Living Reward claim form, we'll ask for details of the improvements you've made. You'll need to upload the invoice for the home improvements you carried out via a document upload link we'll send to your email address.
What if I am not satisfied with the work completed?
Halifax is not responsible for ensuring the quality of the work carried out and you should carry out your own checks to ensure the supplier is suitable. If you find that you are not happy with the work carried out, you should speak to your supplier in the first instance. If the work carried out is covered under a scheme provider you should also contact the appropriate provider.
An example of a scheme provider is the Microgeneration Certificate Scheme (MCS) that are the standards and quality assurance organization for renewable heat technologies such as solar thermal, air/ground source heat pumps and biomass boilers.
I've applied for the Green Living Reward before 7th February 2022
Our 2020 Green Living Reward promotion is now closed. The last day to claim your £500 cashback was on 31st December 2021. Please take a look at our terms and conditions (PDF, 38KB) if you've applied for the reward before 7th February 2022.