Coronavirus support

NHS and Care Workers

As a thank you for supporting those impacted by Coronavirus: personal belongings of NHS and Care workers that are damaged, lost or stolen while they're working or commuting will be covered under their standard contents policy at no extra cost during the pandemic. Thank you.

You're eligible for this cover:

  • if you hold a current contents home insurance policy, and
  • you or a member of your family living with you is an NHS staff member or care worker.

Where are my personal belongings covered?

Your personal belongings will be covered whilst you're working and when you're commuting to and from work.

What type of belongings are covered?

Any personal items owned by you that are worn, used or carried by you in your everyday life.

How long will the cover be in place for?

Your personal belongings will be covered until 30th September 2021 but this date will be reviewed as the situation evolves.

If you need to claim:

  • please notify us that you or a family member are an NHS or Care worker
  • you may be asked for a form of identification to verify your claim
  • you may also be asked for proof of ownership to support your claim, such as a receipt or photo in line with our normal claims process.

Working from home

I’m having to work from home, am I covered?

If you’re temporarily working from home using a computer, making calls or doing paperwork this does not affect your policy and you don’t need to do anything.

Work equipment owned by your employer would be covered by their insurance. If the equipment is owned by you then it will be covered under your policy.

If you’re doing other work activities from home (for example, making things or offering services like hairdressing/beauty therapy) or have more than 20 visitors a week, then please contact us to check you have the correct cover in place.

Empty properties

Am I covered if my home is empty for longer than normal?

Your home is normally covered so long as you don’t leave it empty for more than 30 days.  This is 60 days for some policies. However, if your home is empty for longer than this due to coronavirus you're still covered.  For example, if you're stuck abroad or staying with family. You don't need to let us know if your home is empty due to coronavirus.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.