Public Liability Insurance for Tradesmen & Self Employed

Keep your business safe and protected

Accidents can happen for the most cautious of businesses. Make sure you’re protected if a customer or member of the public are injured due to your business.

If an accident happens, it could be your business that has to pay compensation.

Public liability can cover the cost of compensation and legal fees resulting from injury or property damage where your business is at fault.

Insurance Solutions from Gallagher

Halifax Business Insurance Services are arranged and administered by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited. When getting a quote online you will be taken to Gallagher’s online site with a new privacy and cookie policy.

Common public liability claims are as a result of:

  • Property damage resulting from your work.
  • Someone tripping, slipping or otherwise injuring him/herself in your work area.
  • Something being dropped resulting in injury to a customer or damage to a customer’s property.
  • Someone from your business accidentally spilling a drink over a client’s computer.

Who needs Public Liability Insurance?

Any business that has clients to its premises or involves work on a customer’s site could need public liability insurance.

Some potential customers may ask to see your insurance documents before they let you work with them.

Here are a few examples of trades that usually need liability insurance:

  • Builders
  • Electrician
  • Hairdressers
  • Carpenters
  • Plumbers
  • Cleaners

Some customers may ask to see your insurance documents before they let you work with them. With Halifax Public Liability insurance you can get instant cover and proof of your insurance is emailed to you straight away.

Get a Public Liability quote online and protect your business

  • quick and easy to get a quote
  • competitive quotes from a panel of insurers
  • choose optional cover to suit your business
Get a quote

Want some advice?

Not sure what cover you need? Call and speak to business insurance specialists who will help you get the cover you need.

Call on 0345 241 3410

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am-6pm.

How much public liability insurance do I need?

The level of cover you’ll need will depend on the work your business does and who you do work for.

The bigger the job and the greater the risks, the more cover you are likely to need. Governments and councils usually have minimum levels of cover that they will insist you are insured for.

So it's important you check how much clients need you to have as part of your contract with them. Halifax Business Insurance let you choose liability limits of £1m, £2m and £5m so you can choose the cover you need.

Do you employ staff?

If the answer is yes, you may also need something called employers’ liability insurance.

This insurance is a legal requirement for almost every business that employs staff, including contractors, casual workers and volunteers.

The legal minimum for cover is £5m. This can cover the cost of pay-outs if your business is sued by an employee for injury or illness caused by employers’ negligence.

This includes damage pay-outs, medical costs and loss of income

£10m of employers‘ liability cover is available as an optional cover with your public liability quote.

Public Liability Insurance for Tradesmen & Self Employed

Get a Public Liability quote and choose the cover you need:

  • Public Liability cover
  • Employers’ Liability
  • Tool Cover
  • Business Equipment
  • Stock Cover
  • Contract works cover

Go on it only takes a few minutes to get a quote online or call 0345 241 3410 for advice and support from insurance specialists who will help you get the cover you need.

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am-6pm.

Get a Public Liability quote Retrieve a quote Request a callback

Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.

Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.