An arranged overdraft can act as a short term safety net. You can use it to borrow money up to an agreed limit through your bank account.
- Setting up an arranged overdraft - Setting up an arranged overdraft is free and you’ll only pay daily arranged overdraft interest if you use it.
- Managing your arranged overdraft - You can reduce, remove or apply to increase your arranged overdraft using Online or Mobile Banking as well as in branch or through Telephone Banking. But you must repay anything you owe if you want to remove an arranged overdraft or anything over the new reduced limit you want. This application won't affect your credit score.
- Tools to help you decide - You can also check your eligibility and calculate the cost of any arranged overdraft at any time using the tools provided.
- Receive text message alerts – If we have a mobile number for you, we’ll help you keep an eye on your balance. Find out more here.
- Grace period - You have until midnight to bring your account back in to credit to avoid daily arranged overdraft interest for that day. You can do this by transferring money from another personal account you have with us via Mobile Banking, Online Banking, Telephone Banking or pay in cash over the counter in a branch.
About unarranged overdrafts
If you don't have enough money in your account or available arranged overdraft to make a payment, we may either let you borrow through an unarranged overdraft or refuse to make the payment. Missing payments and using an unarranged overdraft can damage your credit score, please get in touch with us as we may be able to help you.
All overdrafts are subject to our assessment of your circumstances and are repayable in full on demand. You must be aged 18 or over to apply.
If you’re looking to borrow money, it is important you compare and choose the right options for you based on your circumstances. Your borrowing options.
How much do overdrafts cost?
You’ll only pay daily arranged overdraft interest if you borrow over your interest-free amount (if your account has one). Your daily arranged overdraft interest rate is based on how you manage any accounts you have with us and on the credit information we hold about you. We will let you know your rate in the pre contract credit information we give you if you apply for an arranged overdraft.
No other interest
If you miss a payment or go over your limit, we will not apply any additional charges on top of the daily arranged overdraft interest.
If you reach your agreed overdraft limit you may not be able to make any more payments, and you may be charged by the intended recipient.
Mobile alert service to help you track your balance
Our mobile alert service lets you know when you get close to using your overdraft, and near your agreed overdraft limit.