Appoint someone to manage your affairs

Why would I use this service?

Someone you trust can help you manage your account and money matters. Your family members, friends or even neighbours can help you.

There may be several reasons why you need someone to help you. You may be living abroad or have a serious illness.

The person you choose can manage your account in a number of ways. Choosing the right option will depend on your needs and circumstances.

You can choose to allow one of the following types of access to your accounts:

  • A third party mandate arrangement – this allows someone to help when you need support with everyday banking either in branch or over the phone.
  • Power of Attorney – this gives someone the legal authority to deal with third parties such as banks or the local council on your behalf, and in some cases the legal power to make a decision on your behalf such as where you should live.
  • A deputy appointed by the Court of Protection – in this case, a court will appoint someone on your behalf if you are unable to do so.

You can find out more about the types of access in the Different access types section.

Different access types

There are a number of access types. We've made it easy for you to choose the one best suited for your needs.

Plan your next steps

Our step by step guide will help you through registering someone to manage your account and money matters. It’s simple and secure.

I’d like to help someone manage their finances

Find useful information for family, friends and support organisations.

What access do I need?

Complete a series of questions to determine what access is appropriate for your needs

For further advice and information, contact the Office of the Public Guardian (Office of Care and Protection in Northern Ireland) or your solicitor and also read our Appointing someone to manage your affairs (PDF).

How to register

Find out how quick and easy it is to get started by booking an appointment in branch by calling us on 0345 300 0041. Lines are open 8am - 8pm, seven days a week.

You need to take the following with you:

  • 2 forms of identification, one showing your name, one showing your address. Please refer to our list of acceptable identification.
  • The original legal documentation, or a copy certified by a solicitor, notary or donor/granter.
  • Proof of address if the person you are acting for has changed address since the legal document agreed.

Once we’ve got what we need, we’ll register the documents while you’re in the branch with our specialist team available to support you.