How to protect your home in case of flooding.

Apart from all the heartache and disruption flooding can bring, the cost of putting things right can be huge. It’s important to have insurance cover if you’re at risk of:

  • Surface flooding from heavy rainfall or burst pipes
  • An inland waterway bursting its banks
  • Seawater breaking through coastal defences

Flood insurance – or flood risk insurance as it’s sometimes known – can cover your home and belongings if they’re damaged or destroyed by floods. Flood insurance is usually a standard part of the buildings insurance for your home, but it won’t cover your belongings unless you also have a home contents insurance policy.

If you’re at risk of flooding you should check that your insurance covers the costs of things like:

  • Temporary housing for you and your family if you can’t live in your home
  • Drying out and restoring your property and its fixtures and fittings
  • Repairing or replacing your damaged furniture and belongings
  • Fees charged by solicitors, surveyors or builders

You should always check the terms and conditions of your policy as limits will apply and some specialist cover may be required.

Tips for preparing for floods

A flood can be difficult to prepare for – it may strike suddenly and spread quickly. You need as much advance warning as you can get – time is vital for you to take steps to protect your home.

Check a flood map for where you live

Check all the details in your buildings and contents insurance policies that relate to flooding

  1. Even if your insurance isn’t up for renewal, it’s worth checking anyway
  2. Call your insurance company to ask about anything you’re not sure of
  3. New laws mean that it’s up to insurance companies to ask what they need to know
  4. If your property has a history of flooding it’s best to inform your insurance company, even if you’re not asked

Other actions that can help you reduce your flood risk

  • Sign up for flood warnings
  • Join a flood action group
  • Consider products that keep flood water out of your home, such as air-brick covers
  • Find out how you can get involved with public consultations or local flood risk management

How Halifax can help

Halifax Home Buildings insurance includes protection against flood damage for your home and any structures attached to it. Halifax Home Contents insurance protects your possessions inside your home.

Select the insurance options that are right for you

Choose whether you need buildings, contents or a combined policy. There are two tiers available:

  • Halifax Home Insurance, where you select your cover limits and additional cover options
  • Halifax Home Insurance Ultimate, which offers some higher cover limits.

What’s included with Halifax Home Insurance combined building and contents policies?

  • Repair or replacement for flood damage to your home and contents including built-in and attached garages and conservatories, gates, fences, paths, driveways and patios
  • Alternative accommodation if you’re unable to live in your home due to flooding
  • Replacements for locks and keys.

If your claim is complex we may send a Personal Claims Consultant to help you take stock of the damage caused and help you all the way through the claims process.
Limits, terms and exclusions apply.

What’s not covered?

Items left in the open are not covered for flooding.

Our Home Insurance is underwritten by Lloyds Bank General Insurance Limited

Flood Re – help for those living in high risk areas

In recent years, we’ve seen people in high risk areas struggle to find affordable insurance for their homes. The Government has worked with leading insurers such as Halifax to set up Flood Re, a not-for-profit scheme offering insurance cover for these people.

In high risk areas Flood Re aims to:

  • Make sure that affordable buildings insurance is available for eligible properties
  • Make sure that affordable contents insurance is available for residents in eligible properties
  • Help local authorities and communities be better prepared for flooding
  • Help UK insurers to offer affordable and appropriate policies for those at risk of flooding Find out if your home is eligible for insurance supported by Flood Re.

Get a quote.

Compare our two levels of cover side by side when you get a quote.

Get a quote online

Or call for a quote on 0800 085 6844.

Lines open Mon to Fri 8am - 6pm and Sat 9am - 1pm. (Times may vary on public holidays).

Calls will be recorded and may be monitored for training and/or quality purposes.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.