What is contents insurance?

Halifax Home Insurance Select underwritten by Lloyds Bank General Insurance Limited.

Contents insurance protects against the cost of repairing or replacing your household goods and personal belongings when they're in your home. You'll be covered if they're stolen, or damaged by events such as fire, flood and storm.

Contents insurance does not cover your home’s fixtures and fittings, like windows and walls. You will need buildings insurance to protect against the cost of damage to the structure of your home. Limits, terms and exclusions apply to all contents insurance policies. Check out yours to find out what is and isn’t covered.

Our policy documents tell you more about what is and isn’t covered with Halifax. Keep in mind that with all of our cover, there are limits, terms and exclusions. Read the policy documents.

How does contents insurance work?

If something happens at your home, like a theft, fire or flood, and your things are stolen or damaged, you can claim for the cost to  replace or repair them. For instance, if there's a fire and your TV and games console are destroyed, contents insurance could mean you can claim for the cost of repairing any damage. If they can't be repaired, you may be able to get a new item or money to replace them.

You'll pay monthly or yearly to cover the items set out in the policy. This is called a premium.

You can get contents insurance by itself or get it together with buildings insurance. This can provide cover for your home and what’s inside.

Do I need contents insurance?

Contents insurance can be a handy way of protecting you from nasty surprises.

If your home is broken into and your belongings are stolen, it would cost a lot to replace everything yourself. Contents insurance can offer peace of mind knowing that you may be able to claim for the cost of your stolen or damaged items.

How much contents insurance do I need?

When you get contents insurance, you’ll need to know how much cover you’ll need. Getting insured for the right amount means that you’ll be able to claim for the full value of the things you own.

What makes a house a home will change from person to person. You may have a big collection of vinyl records or a high-end stereo system.

To work out how much coverage you need, try to add up the value of the items in your home. Make a list of your stuff, room by room and their rough value. This could be from receipts or by searching online for similar items.

Remember not to include any fixtures and fittings, like baths or toilets. These may be covered by your buildings insurance. A good rule of thumb is if you can take it with you when you move, its covered by contents insurance. If it’s part of the home, it’s covered by buildings insurance.

What does contents insurance cover?

Contents insurance may cover the following for theft, or damage caused by things like floods, fire or storms:

  • Items kept in the home. Your freestanding furniture and appliances all come under contents insurance. So do personal items like clothes and jewellery
  • Your electronics. Mobile phones, TVs or games consoles kept in your home will be covered by contents insurance
  • High-value items. You can usually add specific items that are worth a lot of money to your policy

What isn’t covered by contents insurance?

The structure of your home and the fixtures and fittings all come under buildings insurance.

Your items are only covered by contents insurance when they are in your home. So if your mobile phone is lost or stolen when you’re out, it won’t be covered. You can add extra cover to your policy to cover personal things away from your home.

The same goes if you leave your home for a long period and someone breaks in. This might mean your claim is invalid. You’ll need to check your policy to see how long you can leave your property empty for.

Other things that may not be covered by contents insurance includes:

  • Accidental damage. If you spill a drink over your laptop, you may need extra cover for this. With Halifax Home Insurance Select, Accidental Damage cover is Included with Silver and Gold cover
  • Wear and tear. Gradual damage that happens over a long period of time is normally not covered
  • High-value items. A high value item may need to be named on your policy. There are limits on how much you can claim for certain types of items, unless they are included in your policy

Get a buildings insurance quote

We only ask a handful of questions, so you’ll have a quote in no time. 10% cheaper when you get your quote and buy online. Read about our online price.


Get a quote now Retrieve a quote

man and woman lying on floor laughing

Get a buildings insurance quote

We only ask a handful of questions, so you’ll have a quote in no time. 10% cheaper when you get your quote and buy online. Read about our online price.


Get a quote now

Retrieve a quote

Contents insurance: FAQs

Does contents insurance cover fire?

Yes. You can make a claim on your contents insurance if your items are damaged in a fire.

Does contents insurance cover fixtures and fittings?

No. Your home’s fixtures and fittings are covered by buildings insurance. This type of cover protects against damage to your house, such as walls, pipes and roof. It also covers your home’s fixtures and fittings like your fitted bathroom or kitchen.

Do I need contents insurance as a renter?

It’s a good idea to take out contents insurance if you’re a tenant. You won’t need buildings insurance if you rent, as your landlord should cover this.

Does contents insurance cover jewellery?

Yes. Contents insurance will cover your jewellery in your home if it's stolen, or damaged by things like floods, fire or storms, up to a certain amount. You may need to name your items of jewellery on your policy. You're likely to need extra cover to cover these items away from your home.