Compare our car finance.
Choose from Fixed Car Finance (hire purchase) or Flex Car Finance (personal contract purchase).
Important to know
Car Finance is available on personal cars only. Most UK dealerships are covered. Finance isn’t available for commercial vehicles or purchases from private sellers.
You can get as many personalised quotes as you like, and apply once you’ve found the right car and confirmed the price with the dealer. If you’re settling other finance, please get the settlement figureWhat’s a settlement figure and how do I get one?This is the exact amount needed to end the agreement you have with your current finance provider. You’ll need to get in touch with your current finance provider and ask them to send this to you. from the lender beforehand.
Part-exchange isn’t available with our car finance, but you might be able to arrange this with the dealer you’re buying your car from. You could also sell your car privately and use the proceeds as a deposit for your new car.
You’ll need to give us:
- dealer or current finance provider's name and postcode
- car registration number
- current and expected yearly mileage
- total price and deposit amount
- your monthly income
- your mortgage/rent payments and regular spending
- existing car finance details (if you have any)
- the delivery date and full vehicle details (if you don’t know the reg) of any new car
Once you’ve made an application
- you’ll be given a decision straight away, which is valid for 90 days
- you’ll need to provide the dealer’s or existing finance provider’s bank details, so we can transfer the money after you’ve signed the paperwork. It might take a few hours for this to go through. Payments made after 3.30pm will be with them before 12pm the next working day (Mon-Fri)
- there’s no obligation to go ahead after you’ve been accepted, and your credit rating won’t be affected if you change your mind
Make sure you’re:
- an existing Halifax current account customer (min 3 months)
- registered for Online Banking
- aged 18 or over
- a UK resident
Credit is subject to status and additional affordability checks.
Car finance in 3 simple steps
How does it compare to a loan?
With a loan, money is sent to your current account and you pay the dealer, seller or current finance provider yourself. You can choose the amount and term you want to borrow the money over. You’ll own the car as soon as you pay the dealer/seller.
With car finance, the money’s sent directly to the dealer, or the company you have your existing agreement with, rather than your current account. You can’t borrow more than you need for the car or finance settlement amount. You don’t own the car until you’ve finished repaying the finance.
Want to check your statements or make an extra payment?
Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.