Keep your info safe online
The internet has lots of things that can help you. But you need to know how to stay safe online.
How to stay safe on social media
If you use social media then you need to take care with what you share.
What to look out for:
- Strange requests from family or friends - Fraudsters can hack into accounts to try and trick you into sending them money or personal info. If you get an unusual request from family or a friend, call them on a number you trust to make sure it’s real.
- Spelling mistakes - Fake messages and accounts can look odd. They could have a messy layout or spelling mistakes.
- Fake quiz - If you have to give personal details to enter a competition or quiz, it could be fake.
What you can do:
- Think about what you share - Don’t use your personal details for passwords. Fraudsters may use social media to see your details and try to guess your passwords or steal your identity.
- Go private - Check your settings often and make sure they’re on private.
- Only connect with people you know - If you’re not sure who a person is then don’t connect with them. Some accounts are fake and just try to steal details.
- Be careful what you click on - Some links could put a virus on your phone or computer.
- Log off after use - You should always log off to stop anyone else getting into your account.
- Don’t use the same password - Choose a new, strong password for every site you use.
- Register with care - Make sure a site is safe before you give personal details.