If you are coming to the end of your mortgage, credit card or loan payment holiday, we will contact you before it ends, there is no need to call us. You can use our coronavirus support tool to find the right solution for your needs and confirm what you would like to do in a few simple steps.

Coronavirus - frequently asked questions

NHS and Care Workers

As a thank you for supporting those impacted by Coronavirus: personal belongings of NHS and Care workers that are damaged, lost or stolen while they're working or commuting will be covered under their standard contents policy at no extra cost during the pandemic. Thank you.

You're eligible for this cover:

  • if you hold a current contents home insurance policy, and
  • you or a member of your family living with you is an NHS staff member or care worker.

Where are my personal belongings covered?

Your personal belongings will be covered whilst you're working and when you're commuting to and from work.

What type of belongings are covered?

Any personal items owned by you that are worn, used or carried by you in your everyday life.

How long will the cover be in place for?

Your personal belongings will be covered until 31st December 2020 but this date will be reviewed as the situation evolves.

If you need to claim:

  • please notify us that you or a family member are an NHS or Care worker
  • you may be asked for a form of identification to verify your claim
  • you may also be asked for proof of ownership to support your claim, such as a receipt or photo in line with our normal claims process.

Making a claim

I need to make a claim on my home insurance, where can I get support?

If you need to make a home insurance claim, see our help and guidance on how to make a claim. You will  find helpful information on our claims process and what we will need from you to process your claim.

Get help and guidance on making a claim

If you do need to make a claim, you can use our online claims form.

Make a claim

Home Insurance - Self-isolation help and guidance

Working from home

I’m having to work from home, am I covered?

If you’re temporarily working from home using a computer, making calls or doing paperwork this does not affect your policy and you don’t need to do anything.

Work equipment owned by your employer would be covered by their insurance. If the equipment is owned by you then it will be covered under your policy.

If you’re doing other work activities from home (for example, making things or offering services like hairdressing/beauty therapy) or have more than 20 visitors a week, then please complete a general enquiries form to check you have the correct cover in place.

Contact us with our general enquiries form

Coronavirus - Working from home

General claims enquiries

I'm in the process of making a home insurance claim, where can I get help?

If you've already contacted us about making a claim, we have registered your details. We're working hard to contact our customers as soon as possible. Due to the nature of the situation, we are contacting customers on a priority basis. Our most vulnerable customers will be contacted first to ensure that their homes are made safe and secure.

I have a claim that is currently ongoing

If one of our suppliers is assisting with your claim, you may experience delays. We are working hard with our suppliers to prioritise customers who  need urgent support to make there home secure and safe to live in.

Will my premiums or terms and conditions be affected by my working from home?

No. If you've been advised to self-isolate at home or your unable to work due to steps taken by your employer, your home will still be covered under the  terms and conditions outlined in your home insurance policy booklet.

If you're in a position to work from home, please see our frequently asked questions on working from home.

Am I covered for a deep clean of my home due to coronavirus?

No. Unfortunately this is not something that's insured under the terms and conditions of Halifax Home Insurance or Halifax Home Insurance Ultimate.

My home will be empty for a longer period than normal

Your property is normally covered as long as you don’t leave it empty for more than 30 days (60 for some policies).

However, if your property is empty for longer and this is due to the coronavirus outbreak (for example you are stuck abroad or staying with family) we will still cover your property.

You do not need to contact us to let us know that your property is empty.

I’m struggling to pay my policy premium

Please contact us to see how we can help. We'll review your policy and look at how we can best support you. Here are some of the things we could look at to help:

  • Request a payment holiday
  • Check if there's any part of your cover that you no longer need
  • See if there's any other way we can reduce the cost of your policy

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.