Reward Current Account
Get more from your bank account with a monthly reward.
What else you get with a Reward Current Account
- Up to 15% Cashback - earn as you shop with Cashback Extras
- Contactless - you’ll get a contactless VISA debit card
- Save as you spend - round up your card payments to the nearest pound with Save the change
- Mobile alerts - available if you’d like help to stay in credit
5-star Mobile Banking App
Join the millions of customers who use this app for simple and safe everyday banking. It’s packed with features to save you time.
- Sign in quickly and securely - using your fingerprint or Face ID
- Fast payments - easily pay people and bills, including those you haven’t paid before
- Freeze your card - if you’ve misplaced your debit card or want to restrict how it’s used
- Pay in cheques - save a trip to the bank and deposit your cheques through the app
- Update your contact details - you can easily change your address and telephone number
- Call us from the app - we’ll already know it’s you so can quickly connect you without the usual security checks
Pay on your phone
You can use Apple Pay or Google Pay with your Halifax debit card to make mobile payments.
An arranged overdraft can act as a short term safety net. You can use it to borrow money up to an agreed limit through your bank account.
- Setting up an arranged overdraft is free and you’ll only pay daily arranged overdraft interest if you use it.
- If you use your arranged overdraft but pay it back before the end of the day, then you won’t pay any arranged overdraft interest for that day.
- Applying for an arranged overdraft – When you have applied for this account, at the end of the application you can apply for an arranged overdraft which you can add right away. You can also apply for one later.
- Amending an arranged overdraft - You can reduce or remove your arranged overdraft at any time through Mobile Banking, Online Banking or Telephone Banking or by visiting your branch. But you must repay anything you owe if you want to remove an arranged overdraft or anything over the new reduced limit you want. You can also apply to increase it. This application won't affect your credit score.
- Helpful tools - You can use our eligibility checker and cost calculator to check your eligibility and calculate the cost of an arranged overdraft.
If you don't have enough money in your account or available arranged overdraft to make a payment, we may either let you borrow through an unarranged overdraft or refuse to make the payment. Missing payments and using an unarranged overdraft can damage your credit score, please get in touch with us as we may be able to help you.
All overdrafts are subject to application and repayable on demand. You must be 18 or over to apply.
A variable representative rate of
A variable interest rate of
Based on borrowing
A variable representative rate of
A variable interest rate of
Based on borrowing
How does our overdraft compare?
You can use the representative APR to compare with other products or credit providers, this can help you make sure that you choose the right type of borrowing for you.
How much does my overdraft cost in pounds and pence?
As an example, the interest cost of borrowing £500 is:
£3.22 for 7 days
£13.86 for 30 days
£28.09 for 60 days
Arranged overdrafts are subject to application and approval and repayable on demand. You must be 18 or over to apply. Arranged overdraft limits and interest rates vary based on your individual circumstances.
*EAR is the Equivalent Annual Rate. This is the annual interest rate of an overdraft. This means you are charged over the year based on how often and how much you are overdrawn by, and the effect of compounding it – charging interest on interest already charged. This interest rate does not include any other fees and charges.
If you already have a current account with us and would like an arranged overdraft, you can apply for one through Online Banking or Mobile Banking. You can also apply to increase your existing arranged overdraft too.
Ready to apply? Choose the right option for you below.
If you do all of the three things below each calendar month you’ll earn your chosen reward monthly.
- Hold a Reward Current Account and paying £1,500 or more into your account each month. (a £3 monthly maintaining the account fee will apply for each month you pay in less, and you’ll not receive the rewards that month)
- Stay in credit
- Spend £500 or more each month on your debit card OR keep a £5,000 or more daily balance
- Rent two films each month throughout the year with Rakuten TV, worth up to £120
- Enjoy the latest releases, independent films award winning classics
- Browse through their catalogue of films at www.rakuten.tv
How does it work?
- Film rental codes will be sent via email to your registered email address with instructions on how to choose and access your films
- Codes are valid for 35 days from the date of issue and can be used to rent any Standard Definition (SD) or High Definition (HD) Film but are not valid for Ultra High Definition Films
- Rented films can be viewed via the link provided in the email, the Rakuten app on compatible devices, or via www.rakuten.tv
- You can stream or download Rakuten TV films on most devices including Smart TVs, consoles, tablets and smartphones
Choose three digital magazine from a host of well-known titles. The magazines currently available are:
- Country Living
- ELLE Decoration
- Good Housekeeping
- Harper’s Bazaar
- House Beautiful
- Men’s Health
- Runner’s World
- Women’s Health
How does it work?
- A code will be sent via email to your registered email address with instructions on how to choose and access your magazines
- Codes are valid for 12 months from the date of issue
- Magazines can be read online or offline, through your internet browser, smartphone or tablet
- Enjoy one free cinema ticket each month to catch the latest blockbusters at Vue cinemas across the UK
- You’ll also get a code for half price popcorn
- You can use the cinema voucher for 2D, 3D or Xtreme films screenings. If there are any VIP seats available at your screening, then you'll get a free upgrade too
- Codes are valid for 12 months, so you can save them for a film you’ve been waiting for
How does it work?
- A ticket voucher code will be sent via email to your registered email address and can be used to make bookings online at www.myvue.com or at the box office at any Vue cinema in the UK only
- Voucher codes are valid for up to 12 months from the date of issue and are not subject to time extensions
- Voucher codes can be used to make bookings for 2D, 3D & Xtreme screenings any day of the week. No additional booking costs apply
- Additional upgrade fees will apply
- You can earn up to £5 each calendar month – that’s up to £60 a year
- You can keep on top of your progress for each monthly £5 offer by using the Reward Extras Tracker
How does it work?
- As long as you meet the criteria for Reward Extras and have selected the £5 benefit, you don’t need to do anything else
We have designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way. It will only take seven working days. As your new current-account provider we offer the following guarantee.
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
- We will take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example, your salary).
- If you have money in your old account, we will transfer it to your new account on your switch date.
- We will arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We will also contact the sender and give them your new account details.
- If there are any issues in making the switch, we will contact you before your switch date.
- If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we will refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges made on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.
For more information and FAQs, please read the Account Switching Guide (PDF).
To qualify for the £100 switching offer (“the offer”) you must open a new Reward Current Account or Ultimate Reward Current Account and use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’. The following conditions apply:
- Apply for a new Reward Current Account (£3 monthly maintaining the account fee applies) or new Ultimate Reward Current Account (£17 monthly maintaining the account fee applies) (‘Qualifying Account’)
- Use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’ to transfer all the active credits and debits from the bank account that you hold with another bank to the Qualifying Account and close your old account with the other bank.
- The Qualifying Account must be opened between 04/08/2020 and 14/09/2020 and the switch started by 14/09/2020.
You are not eligible for the offer if:
- You open and switch to any account other than a new Reward Current Account or new Ultimate Reward Current Account.
- You change your existing current account to a Reward Current Account or Ultimate Reward Current Account and switch to that account.
- Since April 2018 you received a switching offer for switching to a Reward Current Account or Ultimate Reward Current Account.
- The bank you are switching from does not participate in the Current Account Switch Service. To find out more visit www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk
- The offer applies to applications received in branch, online or by phone from the 04/08/2020 to 14/09/2020. The offer is subject to change and can be withdrawn without notice at any time.
- The offer does not automatically guarantee an arranged overdraft and any application will be subject to status. If your account has an arranged overdraft you will not pay any daily arranged overdraft interest for 6 months.
- After 6 months, or if you change your account, you will be charged daily arranged overdraft interest applicable to the account you hold if you use your arranged overdraft. Please see the Bank accounts and switching to us leaflet for full details on arranged overdraft interest. You will have been given this when you opened your account, but if you would like another one, please ask in branch or look at https://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/switch-to-halifax/
- Only one offer is available per customer. Joint accounts will only be eligible for one payment.
- The offer will be paid directly into your account by the time your switch has completed and will appear as a cash credit. The offer is not available to employees of Lloyds Banking Group, or if the employee is named on any bank account held in joint names.
How do I know if I'll get my reward each month?
Use the Reward Extras Tracker to check if you’re on course to get your reward each month.
You can find the tracker under your account options in Online Banking and the Mobile Banking App.
When will I get my reward?
If you’ve done all the things we asked of you at the end of the month, you’ll get your reward around the 12th of the following month.
If you’ve selected a lifestyle benefit, you’ll receive the offer each month to your registered email address.
If you’ve selected the £5 offer, we’ll pay it into your account and it’ll appear on your statement. It’s as simple as that.
What kind of spending counts towards the offer?
There are a few payments which don’t count for Reward Extras offers:
- When you take cash out of a cash machine, branch or Post Office counter.
- When you make a money transfer to another account.
Any payments being queried or disputed won't count towards the £500 or £5,000. And we’ll only count payments that leave your account by the last day of the month.
But all purchases on your card count. This includes purchases you make online, in-store and abroad.
You can also use digital wallets, like Apple Pay, Google Pay or similar schemes, as long as they’re linked to your registered debit card.
Can I use this offer with a joint account?
Yes. Each month you just need to meet the offer conditions with your joint account.
Keep in mind, each joint account can only have one Reward Extras offer. You will only receive one benefit per account.
How long does the offer last?
All offers will last for at least 12 full calendar months from the day you choose to add it to your account. So if you added the offer on 10 July this year, it would end on 31 July next year. If you met the conditions for the £5 reward from 10 July to 31 July this year, then you'd still get £5 for July as well.
Once you’ve added a Reward Extras offer, you can’t switch to another offer until the 12 months have passed.
We’ll get in touch before your offer ends to let you know what will happen next.
What happens if I close my account?
You need to keep your account open to get your Reward Extras offer.
If you close your account before you’re due to get your offer then you won’t get your reward, even if you met all of the conditions in the previous month.
For more information read the Reward Extras Terms and Conditions (PDF)
For more information and terms & conditions for this current account, read the Bank Account Getting Started Guide (PDF)
For more information about the fees associated for Payment Services with this account please see the Fee Information Document (PDF)
For more information on lifestyle benefits, read the Lifestyle Benefits Terms and Conditions (PDF)