How to apply for a credit card
During your application
You can apply for a card online, in branch and over the phone, however some balance transfer offers are available exclusively online. You’ll find out if you’re successful about halfway through the application. Applying through Online Banking will make your application quicker and easier. The application form is designed to work on your desktop, smartphone or tablet.
How we make a decision
When making a lending decision, these are some of the things we consider:
- Your current level of borrowing and existing financial commitments
- Your employment status (e.g. if you're unemployed, or have only been in your job a short time).
- Your residential status (e.g. if you've lived at your current address for a short time or have not been listed on the electoral register)
- Whether you've kept up with loan or credit card payments
- The length of time you've held a current account
Making a balance transfer
A balance transfer is the process of transferring a balance from one credit or store card to another. You can do this from most non-Halifax credit cards and some store cards.
Apply for a balance transfer during your application for a new credit card. Or after you've received your card, by signing in to Online Banking, visiting your nearest branch or calling us.