How to apply for a credit card
Halifax offer credit cards to suit most borrowing needs. Find one to suit you.
Two steps to apply
Apply with confidence
When you apply
You’ll need to give us
- At least three years’ UK address history.
- An email address and phone number.
- Your primary bank account number and sort code.
Things that can affect our decision
- The level of your current borrowing and financial commitments.
- Your employment status and how long you’ve held your job.
- Your residential status, including how long you’ve lived in one place.
- Whether or not you’re on the electoral register.
- Whether you’ve kept up with any loan or credit card payments.
- The length of time you’ve held your current account.
After you've submitted your application
Your PIN will be delivered by post within five working days.
Your new credit card will follow, arriving within seven working days.
We send these separately for security. If your card doesn’t arrive within 2 days of your PIN being delivered, please call us on 0345 944 4555. Speak to an adviser 7am-11pm, seven days a week.
You’ll also receive two emails:
- Pre-contract information – the legal contract we provide before you accept the terms and conditions.
- Adequate explanation and Credit Card Agreement – a copy of the terms and conditions you’ve signed. This is issued once your application is complete.
Was it an eligibility check?
Although it’s disappointing to be told you’re not eligible, the good thing about eligibility tools is, to make an eligibility decision, a 'quotation' or 'soft search' is completed. This won’t affect your credit score.
Or a full credit application?
If you submit a full credit application, a full credit search will be completed. If you’re declined, this will affect your credit score.
Multiple applications in a short period can negatively impact your credit score too, which could further affect your chances of being accepted.
Get clued up on credit
Your credit score can impact what cards and interest rates you could get. Learn more about how credit works, how to check and improve your credit score, and more.
A summary on applying for credit cards
At Halifax you can apply online, by phone or by visiting a branch.
- Before you apply, consider your borrowing needs and all options. Will you be able to make repayments, even if your circumstances change?
- To apply for a credit card, you must be a UK resident aged 18 or over. Other criteria apply. Credit is subject to an assessment of your personal circumstances.
- Use an eligibility checker to find and compare cards you’re likely to be accepted for, without impacting your credit score. The Halifax version is called Simple Check.
- Once you’ve found a card that suits you, complete and submit your application. Just bear in mind, a full credit search applies at this point, which will be registered on your credit record.
Want to read more?
Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.