Cover for assistive and medical devices
Protection for equipment that helps you and keeps you healthy
At some point most of us will rely on a device to stay healthy, or for help in our daily life. We might need glasses, contact lenses or a hearing aid to help us see or hear. Crutches, a wheelchair or a stair lift might help us get around more easily. Some of us will need breathing equipment such as a nebuliser or portable oxygen tanks to stay healthy. In future more of us will use wearable technology to manage our fitness or to keep a check on a medical condition.
It can add up to a lot of expensive equipment for your health and well-being, so it pays to check that you are covered in case of theft or damage.
What’s covered by Halifax Home Insurance Select?
Cover is included for a wide range of devices that support your health and mobility:
- Most medical equipment is covered by your contents insurance while it's inside your home, but it’s a good idea to check with us.
- Items such as wheelchairs, crutches, walking frames and trolleys would be protected within this cover.
- Your contents insurance also gives you cover for devices that help with hearing and sight loss. This protects your glasses, contact lenses, and hearing aids, plus items such as refreshable braille displays.
- Cover for some of these items can be extended outside your home with Away from Home cover. Accidental Damage cover is also included with Silver and Gold policies.
Home contents policies do not cover Motability vehicles or electric mobility scooters typically used for journeys outside the home.
I've modified my home – what cover can Halifax home insurance give?
If you are:
- widening doors or putting in ramps
- installing a stair lift, or a downstairs bathroom
- putting in an easy-access shower, wet room, walk-in bath or bath lift
these alterations are treated as a fixture of the property and are covered by your buildings insurance.
Before you start make sure to let your insurer know so your policy can be updated and keep you covered
Ready to get a quote?