Legal Expenses Cover
With Home Insurance Select you can have legal protection for you and your family. You can only get Home Insurance Select directly with us. Get a quote online or over the phone. You’ll save 10% if you buy online.
Read the offer terms and conditions.
What’s Legal Expenses cover?
It’s designed to give you the right support to protect and negotiate your legal rights. It pays up to £50,000 in case you need to take legal action. It gives you access to a 24/7 legal advice helpline. Legal Expenses cover can protect you from the cost of legal action.
Legal Expenses cover is included with Home Insurance Select Silver or Gold.
This cover is jointly administered by Arc Legal Assistance Limited and Legal Insurance Management Ltd, and underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc.
What does Legal Expenses cover include?
It can help you and your family with the costs of legal action for incidents that occur whilst your cover is in place in cases such as:
- Employment disputes to do with the contract you have with your employer or future employer.
- Contract disputes over goods and services. For example, disputes over faulty goods that are bought or sold.
- Personal injury claims if you are in an accident and another party is at fault.
- Personal identity fraud where you are the victim of fraud.
- Property protection for a civil dispute to do with property that you own. For example, if someone trespasses and damages your home.
- Jury service - covers your net wages for the time you need to take off work.
- 24/7 legal advice over the phone for a legal issue you have, even if it’s not covered by the policy.
- Clinical negligence in case you are injured or die as a result of a medical or clinical procedure.
- Tax protection in case you are subject to a full enquiry by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). This doesn't apply if HMRC only look at one or more specific areas.
- Legal defence if at work you have a dispute relating to discrimination legislation or data protection legislation.
What doesn’t Legal Expenses cover include?
In most cases, cover will only pay out when your legal claim has a ‘reasonable chance of success’. This means that there must be at least a 51% chance that your legal claim will be successful.
You cannot use Legal Expenses cover for:
- Any event which leads to a claim that happened before you took out the policy.
- Child custody disputes.
- Divorce costs.
- Libel cases.
Do I need Legal Expenses cover?
This type of cover can protect you against the cost of legal action. If you make a claim or you must defend one, it can cost a lot.
The average cost of solicitor’s services is between £100 and £200 per hour. With no Legal Expenses cover, you would have to pay this. The costs can soon add up based on the type of claim and how long the case lasts.
An example of where Legal Expenses cover could help:
- You object to your neighbour building a fence in part of your garden.
- They won’t remove it, so you take legal action.
- You can prove the fence is on your property and start a claim.
- Legal expenses cover can protect you against some of the costs of the claim. These may include legal advice and paying for an official survey.
Without Legal Expenses cover, you would have to pay for all the legal work you need to launch a case yourself. This type of cover won’t always cover the whole amount that you pay for legal support. There are terms and exclusions to this type of cover.
To find out more about what is and isn't covered, please read the policy booklet.
Ready to get a quote?